Furnace running at odd times

My furnace turns on even when the house is warm! I supposedly have on demand hot water so I thought that unless it was cold or something was using the hot water the furnace shouldn't run. What am I missing? Sorry for my stupidity on the subject....I've always heated with electric or a monitor before.

As always.....thanks for the help. I'd be lost without this group!!!!

Reply to
altitude

Furnace of boiler? Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water.

In a system that both heats the house and hot water, it maintains a reservoir of hot water ready for use. If that water cools down too far, the boiler burner will start and bring it back to temperature. There is a differential setting for that also.

You want to be sure you don't have water circulating from the natural tendency of heat rising in the pipes also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Beeper