Furnace Room Wiring ?

Code question on furnace room wiring:

Is the circuit in a (oil) furnace room dedicated to the furnace room, or dedicated to the furnace itself ?

I need to install an overhead light. I'm thinking of one of those bare blub in a socket arrangements. At first I was thinking that the light should be on another circuit so that you could shut down the furnace breaker still take advantage of the light (There is a switch on the box at the furnace itself that the tech uses as well as the emergency switch on another floor).

Then I thought... what if there is a "fuel" emergency, wouldn't you want to be able to shut off the entire room's power with one breaker. And, does the code require this "single breaker shut off" ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

furnance by its self --20 amp for the blower , run a light from a near by light in the basement, lights are mostly 15 amps. hop this helps

Reply to
Joe

The proper way would be to have the switch that cuts power to the furnace at the entrance to the room. The light can be tied into whatever other circuit. As a switch is probably not an acceptable form of disconnect, and the furnace being a fixed appliance, it requires it's own breaker.

Reply to
Gary Tait