Furnace BTU output

I currently have a 20 year old Carrier Gas Forced Air furnace model number

58GP125-3 It says the INPUT is 125,100 BTU but the output field on the label is blank.

An HVAC company wants to replace this with a Carrier model 58STA110. He says this will result in the same or greater output as my unit. Is he correct?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
nospamever

Sounds like someone doesnt trust someone? Maybe if he stuck a feather up your ass you would trust him more? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Probab;y, yes. Do some math...if your old furnace is 80% effcient the output is 100,000 BTU. If the replacement is 90% or better you have

99,000+ BTU, close enough for practical purposes. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't know the efficency of the old unit, and neither does the person I spoke with at Carrier. The new unit is 80%. The old one was made in 1985.

Reply to
nospamever

Same or greater huh. Ask the f*ck wit if hes ever heard of a manual J then kick his ass out the door and quit cross posting your homeowner BS to Alt.hvac.

Reply to
ftwhd

A larger unit will lead to shorter cycles and maybe uneven heat, I cut my btu 55% on a new unit and finally the house heats evenly. If your unit just heats on the coldest days of the year it is probably sized ok, but oversizing is common, also bigger units cost more, more profit, get a pro that does a load calculation or dont let him in the door

Reply to
ransley

given energy cost I wouldnt buy a 80% furnace today and this furnace would be a negative at resale time.

go 90+ go 90+ its worth the extra bucks

Reply to
hallerb

Is that your final answer??? or do you maybe think you should find out WHERE he is located. 90+ is great for places where they have 9 months of winter sports.....OTOH, down here on the Gulf Coast, you need to think 9 months of cooling and where can I get a small enough furnace to heat with a big enough blower drive for the A/C.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hi, Where do you live?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

good point? where does the person live?

Reply to
hallerb

Load Calculation, PERIOD!

Reply to
<kjpro

Sounds like someone isn&#39;t doing a load calc. :-(

Reply to
<kjpro

Why, you looking for a date? I hear Stormy&#39;s available.

Reply to
<kjpro

Thumbs up!

Reply to
<kjpro

Heat Pump, Heat Pump, Heat Pump Dual Fuel, Dual Fuel, Dual Fuel

Where&#39;s the OP located? What&#39;s the cost of utilities in their area?

There&#39;s a lot of information to be gathered before one could possibly recommend which would be cheaper to operate in their area.

Reply to
<kjpro

Hmmm, I did not ask you. Local climate and energy cost are a factor in selecting things like furnace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

wrote in news:5d6a1$4706ffec$9440c41e$20232 @STARBAND.NET:

Drunk again?

Reply to
Clark

No shit, but that has nothing to do with the OP&#39;s original question.

Reply to
<kjpro

I see you&#39;re still stupid. I&#39;ll make sure to inform you if there&#39;s ever a cure.

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:c8562$4707106d$9440c41e$5316 @STARBAND.NET:

I post and you dance. It never fails does it, drunken monkey boi?

Reply to
Clark