fridge water dispenser broke

I have a Sears Kenmore (I think) side by side refrigerator about 6-8 years old.

The water one day quit coming out of the dispenser on the front door. The ice maker/dispenser still work fine dispensing ice out the front.

Does anybody have any tips on what it could be and how to check it and troubleshoot. I was going to order the repair manual but there are two- one for the ice maker and one for the rest of the fridge. Since the ice maker is related to the water dispensor (I think there might be one solenoid/valve common to both), I didn't want to lay out $30 for both manuals if not necessary.

Are there any websites for troubleshooting this ?

Thanks for any help.

Thirsty Bob

Reply to
bcarwell

Check

I think you are wrong about one solenoid. If there was only one, every time you got a drink the ice would fill up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Howdy,

Model#?

model# helps.

Bad 1/2 of the fill valve, frozen water tank/reservoir, bad switch in the dispensor, broken plastic mechanism in the dispensor are some possible trouble makers.

At least 1 fill valve with 2 solenoids, 1/2 of the fill valve is for icemaker and 1/2 for chilled water....some refrigerators have more thna one fill valve.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Reply to
bcarwell

Thanks for the response. Talked to a tech and he said he's pretty sure its the fill valve as you indicated, and it indeed has 2 solenoids, one for icemaker and one for water. Now the icemaker half has apparently gone too. Fortunately there is a fill valve in stock, so I'll try that this weekend. I did check the "bladder" (coil of tubing behind the crisper) to see if frozen, but it wasn't. If it isn't fill valve, I may need some help on how to get at the dispensor mechanism and will supply model number, but sure seems like its the fill valve now that both ice and water have quit.

Thanks again for your responses and I'll post after I get the part.

Bob

Reply to
bcarwell