Freezer Door Light Switch Spring is Tired

The spring on the freezer door light switch (swing-out switch, not plunger) on my Whirlpool French door refrigerator is tired. When the freezer drawer is opened, the switch arm swings out but not quite fully. It stops just a hair short of the light coming on. No ice is on the switch and it is clean.

I can pull it forward to get the light on- or press it in manually then let it snap out and it works fine.

I'm thinking some kind of spray might help-- but not sure what to try. Worried about it freezing or gumming things up.

Candidates include: good old WD40, silicone spray, dry silicone, graphited lock fluid, powdered graphite, and any of the cleaner/lubricant products.

Ideas?

Here's a link to what the switch looks like on RepairClinic:

Wade Garrett

I'd go with a silicone spray. I'd also think about a shot of contact cleaner first too if I had some.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been there with a switch that would operate correctly only under that same 'forced' conditions. In the end, I had to replace the switch. Worth the headache, and what I should have done in the first place. Live and learn.

Good luck.

Reply to

I have a switch much like that, on a 41 year old Sears Kenmore that still works fine

Because you can't see the pivot, you might be better off with a liquid, that will flow into the pivot point. Like WD.

Reply to
micky