FPE AC distribution caution

Got an FPE STAB-LOK AC breaker/distribution box? Be advised:

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

thanks I have one didnt realize the danger till I saw a breaker not trip under a direct short:(

Soon this will be replaced but this site is very informative thanks!

Reply to
hallerb

My dad still has a FPE panel in his garage with at least three 2-pole breakers in it and a bunch of singles. I've been trying to talk him into letting me replace it with a SquareD or GE panel next time I visit.

He's had problems with it before, the breakers tend to work loose.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

federal arc weld. i always advise my customers to change them out.but some of the generals said i had to quit scaring peoplebut i still tell them they are dangerous.it wouldnt be right if i didnt

Reply to
sym

watch out for zinsco panels also...they are out there and some of the breakers just wont trip.

Reply to
cornytheclown

havent seen one of them yet but ill keep my eyes open

Reply to
sym

I have one of these panels. And I have tested all the breakers too They all trip just fine. I've even had a nusiance trip when I was using heat gun to remove some paint. The single pole breakers are just fine. The only problem I have ever had with mine is with a ganged two pole breaker (which was really two one pole breakers joined togather on the outside which is poor substitute for a real two pole breaker). I have read all the stuff about them on the internet and think there are a lot of fear mongers out there. The stuff really is just fine as long as you nkow that all your breakers work. Having said all of that, If I had a lot of two pole breakers on my system I might feel differently since that seems to be where the problem area are.

That and any breakers over a certain age should be viewed with suspician irregardless of the manufacturer.

Reply to
scott21230

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

And exactly HOW did you do that? Hint, I don't want to hear "I just shorted the wires"

Reply to
Tekkie®

are you refering to the federal arc alot? i know for a fact that their singles have problems,and if instilling a little fear saves lives then a fear monger i will be and happy to be.

Reply to
sym

panels. And I have tested all the breakers too

just HOW would one test a overcurrent device without putting it thru a overcurrent situation?

I have looked at breaker testers they appear to run various overloads over time and look for trip time in minutes seconds or cycles.

Remember breakers are DESIGNED to trip under short circuits and a variety of other overload conditions.

they are probably rated at survining so many thousand dead shorts over a lifetime.

since a dead short can occur for any number of reasons even shorting a breaker shouldnt damage it, its what its DESIGNED to do.

although I wouldnt make a habit of trying it.

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Right, controlled, replicatable conditions.

Reply to
Tekkie®

a controlled replicatable condition is among others a dead short, which all breakers should be designed to tolerate.

in the case of FPE theres some evidence once tripped they are less likely to trip again...

this isnt the norm for breakers.......

Reply to
hallerb