Any US Distributors For Schneider Electric Of Canada ?

Hello:

Anyone happen to know if there are any U.S. distributors for Schneider Electric of Canada ?

Apparently they manufacture brand new replacement Stab-Lok circuit breakers for old FPE panels.

There seem to be several places in the U.S. offering re-manufactured, or reconditioned breakers, but only Schneider seems to still make brand new replacement ones.

Tried Google, but couldn't come up with any.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Hi, Ask the question at alt.home.repair. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Robert,

FPE panels became known fire hazards (still being debated in some environs) because of their tendency for failure to open after a few trips. This was particularly true in double pole breakers.

Look at this site, which probably contains more information than you'd ever want to know on the subject:

I *thought* Siemens now owned the Federal line, and had heard that new parts were still available up to several years ago. Most people just replace the aging and suspect panels with a more reliable design.

Schneider Electric is the parent company of Square D, so perhaps a Square D distributor could help you further.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

I think the answer is no. They are only sold in Canada. Sometimes you can get them off eBay. I have one in my panel. I think they are perfectly fine. I know someone always posts how they are supposedly a fire hazard, but if you read the documents, it's only the double pole breakers that don't trip properly. I have one of these panels, and I've tested every breaker on it, and mine works fine.

Reply to
scott21230

According to Robert11 :

You could phone them and ask if there's any US distributors, or whether they have any Canadian ones who'll do mailorder.

This might work:

Chris Lewis

If you read the "documents" the single pole breakers tend not to trip at

135% of load, the bus connections can fail, the breakers may not be retained by the bus (may come loose), and other problems. FPE fraudulently supplied information to UL and UL wound up delisting most of the FPE line. Reliance Electric bought FPE and discovered the problems; they sued the seller of FPE and setteled for about 43 million dollars to cover liability. I believe there is currently a class action law suit in New Jersey.

See the site in another post

- this site links to a lot of information

Some sites linked to by the site above that are of particular interest:

- the report of tests done on breakers and reported to an association of home inspectors - also includes information on bus failures

- a lot of info

- the long version of the first site without the links.

I have one of these panels, and

How do you test them? Apply an over current and test for appropriate trip time? Look at the bus connections to see if any are failing? I doubt a homeowner has the equipment ot test the breakers or knowledge to inspect.

Bud--

Reply to
Bud

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Again, I ask HOW did you test those breakers?

Reply to
Tekkie®