follow up - leaky flush valve

A month ago I posted about problems with a leaky flush valve. It was a brand new fluidmaster flush valve. I changed flappers twice to see if I could get it to stop. Didn't work. fed up with the noise and the water waste, I finally took the tank off and replaced it.

When i got the thing at eye level I noticed that the dimension between the flapper hinge pins and the flapper seat was such that the back of the flapper sat off the seat a few thousands of an inch. All three flappers did this, the original and both replacements. So the flush valve was defective, brand new.

I replaced with a Korky. Blessed silence.

It is still a mystery as to why it would often leak down 2-3" and then stop (with the fill supply valve closed for testing). I guess I'll never figure that out.

No more fluidmaster for me.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher