Favorite deck stain

In the past I've used "Cuprinol", and it's time for a new gallon (small deck), and I was wondering if any of you folks have a brand you think really works well. This one is alright, but nothing to write home about and I need to recoat every year. I see Home Depot is advertising "Behr", and saying it is guaranteed for 5 years. I don't think it will last that long, but if it holds up for two, it will cut my labor in half.

Thanks for your comments!

Reply to
toolmiser

My favourite deck stain...

....well, Suzy and I were both 16 and had raided Pop's liquor cabinet....

Reply to
Noozer

On 6/28/2005 9:29 PM US(ET), toolmiser took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Consumer Reports consistantly rates Cabot's opaque stain at the top of the list. I used it on a deck two years ago and it is still the same color.

Reply to
willshak

Read Consumer Reports ongoing testing

Reply to
m Ransley

I would look seriously other than Sikkens. I had a new cedar deck build last summer and used Sikkens SRD. It peeled over the winder and also has allowed mildew to grow under it. I followed the prep instructions to the letter. Sikkens rep states that one would have to stain all SIX sides of each board to attempt to prevent my situation.

GOod luck.

Reply to
Bob_M

Five years ago, I got tired of the crappy jobs done by various deck treatment companies around here (MD) so I did it myself.

Since the vast majority of the work in treating a deck is prep, I made damn certain I followed all that prep up with the best stain I could find.

Did a _lot_ of research online and finally decided on Wolman's F&P Cedar.

First coat lasted a full 3 years. Each of the last two years, I've only given the deck a good scrubbing with Murphy's Wood Soap, let it dry and then laid down a VERY LIGHT coat of Wolman's F&P, using a BRUSH and not a roller. Lay it down too heavy and it won't be absorbed.

Looks beautiful and the prep for these subsequent coats is all of an hour. No big deal.

Bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

Horse poop!! The crap they think people will believe is incredible! bob

Reply to
R. Gerard