Exterior Stain or Paint?

Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but, there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

In terms of stopping UV penetration it would also depend on what kind of stain. Solid I would think would be about as effective as paint, blocking

100%. Transparent stain, I would suspect might be less. One huge difference is that with stain you have choices that allow the grain of the wood to show to varying extent. If you get to solid stain, then it's similar to paint, except it doesn't form as much of a film surface, which is an advantage because it's less likely to peel. For something like cedar siding, I'd always go with a stain. It just slowly wears off over many years, I've never had it peel, while I have had paint peel on the trim. LAst time I used Benjamin Moore and it was a great product.
Reply to
trader_4

The immediate need is for a yet-to-be-built 20'x30' x15' (h) equipment storage building.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

For the siding I presume? What kind of siding? Put vinyl on it and avoid the maintenance.

Reply to
trader_4

Aluminum siding Vinyl siding Paint if it is T1-11 (every 10 years) Stain if cedar shakes

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

After considering a number of different factors, I might just buy a steel building.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Given the size, it may be the best bet. They are painted but it will last a very long time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, and even though we are quite close to the Pacific ocean, we have very few problems with rust. UV rays are becoming more and more of a problem however, so wood is becoming less and less desireable on the outside of a structure.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman