Falling through plasterboard

What is this myth about falling through the ceiling when you're in the attic? Plasterboard holds my weight easily.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I fell through mine years ago. Just foot went through. Messy in wife's closet but easy to patch as I did not have to make it that presentable as you never saw ceiling. Are you confusing lathed plaster with plaster board?

Reply to
Frank

I've got 10mm plasterboard, attached between 2 foot apart joists, with support struts across every so often.

Lathed plaster was stopped in the 50s?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not a myth. I've seen it happen in person and I saw it on Cops, a TV reality show.

My wife's uncle went up to check on something above the ceiling and one foot came through when he stepped off the joist.

On Cops, the police went to a house to serve a warrant and arrest someone. The woman insisted no one was home except her and a kid. The suspect was hiding in the attic space above. They were about to leave when the guy came crashing though the ceiling.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess I have stronger plasterboard, or I'm not a big fat American!

It has been a right bugger to remove....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Have not been in that section of attic for several years and I was much lighter and it was not a full body weight step. I think joists are closer than yours. I have 2 attic sections and this one over 2nd floor requires crawling up through my closet - no stairs or pull down stairs.

Lot of houses where you live are much older and could have something different but plaster board here is not tough stuff. We had a carpet installer last year fall against the living room wall knocking a big hole in the plaster board.

One of my sons also put a hole in his bedroom wall kicking something. I've had to repair holes in plasterboard walls several times.

Reply to
Frank

I've fallen off the ladder going to my attic, and landed with a thud against the hall wall. No dent.

Mind you when I were a lad, my friend punched his bedroom wall in temper and made a large hole in it without damaging his fist. It was a very old house though.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Prick.

Reply to