Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

best bet is to check both pumps once a month and before any predicted storms.
let them actually run for a few seconds once a month to prevent the bearings from seizing.
buy a spare pump and keep it on the shelf, run it once a month as well
mark

You are definitely a belt and suspenders guy!
--
Legal gun owners in the U.S. possess over 300 million firearms and
billions of rounds of ammunition. Seriously people, if they were a
Wade Garrett wrote:

I check quarterly. I run a hose from the drain faucet of the gas water heater and dump that into the sump. I dump about 10 gallons of water in the 5 gallon sump to test one cycle of the main pump and one cycle of the battery operated pump. Change my electrostatic hot air furnace filter at the same time.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 07:16:17 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I had thought of that, and for a reason. I was once in a situation, where there was flooding due to an extreme amount of rain. Due to location, my home was ok, but I was in charge of maintenance at a commercial building. I decided to go check that building. What was normally a 10 min. drive, took an hour because of flooded roads. The storm sewers were all backing up. When I got to that building, the basement was starting to flood. Threre was a sump pump, but it could not keep up with the amount of water. I got back in my truck to go to a hardware store and buy another pump, or even two of them. It took over an hour to get there, and when I did, they were sold out of all pumps, and all sump pump hoses, and anything else that would be used to pump water.
Needless to say, that building had severe flooding before the storm ended. I was unable to even get back there, because of bridges being washed out, and other flooding. I did manage to get home, but it was not till the following day that I got back to that building. By then it was too late. The water was slowly going down, but it had gotten to about 5 feet deep in that basement. There were finished rooms down there, all were destroyed, as well as the furnace, water heaters and a lot more.
Actually, I doubt any pumps could have helped, since that part of the city was all damaged, as all the sewers backed up, but at least I could have possibly kept the water level lower if I had pumps on hand.
Buy a spare NOW, before you really need it, and the stores are sold out.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 07:16:17 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Why would you ever run a new pump dry every month???? Most pumps are NEVER to be run dry.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:45:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's right. If it just sits on a shelf, in it's original box, there is no reason to run it. I'd test it when I first bought it. Put a hose on it, and pump a 5 gal bucket of water. As long as it works, just put it back in the box (after it drys), and keep it in a safe place until needed. There is no reason to run it monthly or even yearly. (They dont run the ones on the shelves in the hardware store).
On 01/25/2017 10:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yup, learned that the hard way. Pumps always fail after the stores close.
Got a brand new one with a pvc pipe extension cut to proper length and a new fernco coupler...all ready to go. Pump swap will only take about 30 seconds.
trader_4 wrote:

The Watchdog battery pump I have has a built in audible alarm as part of the control panel. It sounds when it is running on battery but I can turn the alarm on or off.
Arnie Goetchius posted for all of us...

Why did you ask the question if you already had a solution in mind?
--
Tekkie

Tekkie® wrote:

Just trying to get an idea of how long the current pedestal will last
On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:04:26 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

Anywhere between about 5 seconds and another 20 years, give or take.
That's about as close as you are going to get.

ote:

it will run.

avy rain, it

n a 5 gallon

ump in the

ectricity

Any thoughts?

bly

ked up to 3

would keep

y convenience.

Thank you for saving my crystal ball. It gets very cloudy when asked this type of question.
--
Tekkie

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:04:26 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

You'll never know, until it's dead....
No one can answer a question like that. How long will YOU live? Can you answer that????
On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 5:20:01 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@weiser.com wrote:

Well there are actuarial table that can give you the probabilities of life expectancy for a person who is X years old. Don't know of any tables for sump pumps though.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:30:22 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

I've seen them go over 20 - and others fail in 5 or 6. It depends a lot on the construction/quality. When the bottom rusts off they are pretty well done.. If the impeller lets go it's done. Sometimes it's the motor that fails, or the switch - - -
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:30:22 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

The pedestal pump on my sewer ejection system was still pumping after 50 years. I had it replaced it because I didn't want to push my luck. I goes on about 10-20 times a day for about 10 seconds and will run almost constantly during heavy rain.
On 01/24/2017 06:30 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

A 14-year-old pump would have been manufactured during the Dubya years so it's prolly a good honest hard-working pump.
being a frugal guy and not finding little giant pond pumps quite adequate to provide suffieicent water flow for my pond, i use sump pumps for my pond. On a timer they run about 9 hrs a day in the summer.
Experienced life....about 1 year.
Cause of failure? one main issue....
Firstly the units are sealed, so they don't get water in the 'lectrics, but they do inevitably fail tripping the GFI. The Princess auto pumps have typically plastic bushings, and they wear out. goodby to water tightness....hello failure
Well, they don't make em like they used to. The upside is that they typically come with a one year warranty
With a 14 years under yer belt, I would suggest leaving it in place, getting a water alarm, and having a replacement pump at hand or even "piggybacked" in the same drainage can?????.
Just my though
Eric
Eric
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:38:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@telus.net wrote:

The OP already has a battery operated backup pump installed
On 1/24/17 5:30 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Do you have maintenance chargers on the batteries?