Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run. Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

One part of me says you're right, it's getting old. The other part of me tells me that if you replace it, what you get today will probably not last nearly as long and many new products today fail after just a few years.
trader_4 wrote:

The battery operated pump (Watchdog) is only a year old and it is hooked up to 3 deep cycle marine batteries. If the pedestal failed, the battery pump would keep me going through the wet season and I could replace the pedestal at my convenience.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:55:18 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

14 yrs is a good long life for a sump pump. But as long as you keep the bottom filter/impeller clean, and oil; the motor, it could last a lot more years. No sense replacing it till it fails.
What brand is it? That sounds like a reliable brand, worth buying....
snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

It is a Water Ace R3P. According to Flotec it is obsolete but they may have parts. Reviews on Amazon are positive for the original versions but reviewers suggested that later versions were not so good.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:41:19 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

I never heard of that brand, but it sounds like it was made by Flotec. (Flotec is still around). Why do they always stop producing the best stuff????
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:59:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

Because Americans won't pay for the good stuff.
On 1/24/2017 8:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is part of it. We want cheap. Couple that with corporate greed and you see cheap products lime 13 ounce cans of coffee, 30 ounce jars instead of a quart, etc.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:41:19 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

That's par for the course. The old one will outlast the one you would buy as a replacement today.
On 1/24/2017 7:41 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Everything has been cheapened in recent years so that may be true. Aside from age, any reason to suspect it is going to stop working? If it does, how much time would you have before serious damage from water? Room in the sump to set up a secondary?

She said she already has a battery operated backup. installed.
On 1/24/2017 9:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I saw that after. In that case, I'd leave well enough alone until it breaks.
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:55:20 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

If the battery pump can keep you safe long enough to get a new AC pump, that would be good enough reason for me to keep doing what you're doing. I'd have the battery pump set to come on at a higher level and also an alarm set up to sound so that you know the primary pump has failed. They have cheap $10 alarms for water heaters at HD and similar. May be loud enough and work for your purpose.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:12:08 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Why would you put an alarm on a water heater, and where does it connect?
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 7:25:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@weiser.com wrote:

You put it on the floor or in the safety drip pan that's under it, if it has one. It's just a battery operated alarm, the size of a pack of cigarettes, with two contacts on the bottom. If the WH starts to leak, you know it before it does damage.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:34:01 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Ok, Thanks. The contacts on the bottom must be activated by wetness. Is that correct? I assume this would work for any sort of water leakage.
I wonder how this would work in a bathtub? I know of a certain elderly person, who dont watch the tub when it's filling, and tends to overflow the tub fairly often. Ive been trying to find some way to alert them when the tub is near full.
What are they called so I can google for them?
On 1/24/2017 7:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

In my present house they installed a pan under the high efficiency furnace. There is a float control which will shut off the furnace if there is water in the pan. I Googled "float alarm for water heater" and found many. Too bad they didn't put a pan/float alarm under the water heater ... different subcontractor.
On 1/24/17 6:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

"Bathtub alarm" turned up a lot of hits.

Thanks, I was hoping there was something for this use. I'd prefer it sensed the water before the tub began to overflow, rather than after. As long as they are battery operated, there is no risk of electrocution, and can be placed right into the tub itself. It looks like some of them are made just to be used that way.
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 7:58:03 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@weiser.com wrote:

Yes

google for water alarm or water heater alarm.
Here's one example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-WA100-Water-Alarm/14710711
One on the floor would alert when the tub first starts to overflow.