Evaporative cooler blower wiring?

A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all. The motor wires are orange, red and black.
I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to black and the other to either other wire.
What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but I'm curious at what you would guess about this.
TIA

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 1:39:44 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

I would agree with your assessment, provided there is no start capacitor external to the motor involved. You'd think you could just trace the wires and see where they go, and or use a meter, no?

No start capacitr. But it could have been remoced.
I don't know how a two-speed A/C motor is wired. Perhaps a pair go to a field winding. Then there is another field winding added to the first field for higher speed? There is probably little DC resistance in these windings so a ohm-meter test would be difficult.
Suggestions?

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 2:08:14 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Just test the wires going to the motor with the fan set to low and high. That is assuming there is a high low switch.

that's

are

120

go

just

these

high.

Nope. Just the blower, motor, and three wires going to a flat multiconnector plastic socket.

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 10:05:08 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

We don't know what unit this even is or have it to look at. Have you looked for a wiring diagram that is often on the back of a panel or stuffed inside as a folded up piece of paper? Looked online? If that doesn't exist, and you say there is no hi/lo switch, then do you have a theory as to what determines the motor speed? Is this a modern unit that has electronic controls or an old one with mechanical? The former, the board could do it without the user having control. But for something so basic, a swamp cooler, if it has a two speed motor, I'd think it would have a speed selection by the user somehow and it would be obvious.
On 3/22/19 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:

Next time maybe your imaginary friend should take some pictures before they start yankin' wires?  ;-)
On 3/22/19 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:

Maybe wired like this schematic ?
http://www.jbmailroom.com/swamper/wiring.gif
"\"Retired"@home.com wrote in

Close, but the motor colors in the diagram are black, white, red and green. The motor is two speed - but I see no way to change speeds. Maybe something to do with red input lead. I'll keep it in mind though. Thank you very much for your resarch!