Evaporative cooler blower wiring?

A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all. The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No start capacitr. But it could have been remoced.

I don't know how a two-speed A/C motor is wired. Perhaps a pair go to a field winding. Then there is another field winding added to the first field for higher speed? There is probably little DC resistance in these windings so a ohm-meter test would be difficult.

Suggestions?

Reply to
KenK

Just test the wires going to the motor with the fan set to low and high. That is assuming there is a high low switch.

Reply to
trader_4

Next time maybe your imaginary friend should take some pictures before they start yankin' wires?  ;-)

Reply to
Teresa Maynot

Maybe wired like this schematic ?

Anonymous

"\"Retired"@home.com wrote in news:JoOdnVcOKrWlqwjBnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Close, but the motor colors in the diagram are black, white, red and green. The motor is two speed - but I see no way to change speeds. Maybe something to do with red input lead. I'll keep it in mind though. Thank you very much for your resarch!

Reply to
KenK

We don't know what unit this even is or have it to look at. Have you looked for a wiring diagram that is often on the back of a panel or stuffed inside as a folded up piece of paper? Looked online? If that doesn't exist, and you say there is no hi/lo switch, then do you have a theory as to what determines the motor speed? Is this a modern unit that has electronic controls or an old one with mechanical? The former, the board could do it without the user having control. But for something so basic, a swamp cooler, if it has a two speed motor, I'd think it would have a speed selection by the user somehow and it would be obvious.

Reply to
trader_4