empty electrical box behind drywall

There's NO conduit involved in residential wiring here in the KC metro area. Probably not in the 4 state area that i know of. I can't imagine trying to wire a house in conduit. What a pain and waste of time.

Steve Barker

People are always surprised when I tell them that electricians around here want to be both "the first ones in and the last ones in". The electrical rough in guy is here just after being "under roof" he does all rough in and drops only one or two outlets for everybody else later. Then plumbing, heating/AC, insulation, drywall. Lastly the final electrician wires the house, sometimes even after the painters and cabinets. Flooring is last of course.

Reply to
RickH

I can't immagine wiring a "stick-built" house with conduit. Concrete, I can see. Even steel-stud residential would be a complete pain. Generally plastic bushings are installed in the through-holes of the tin stud to keep the romex from shredding.. To use conduit EVERYTHING would have to come up or down throuh sills and plates - virtually nothing could traverse walls. Would easily DOUBLE the amount of wire required in the average home - particularly in 2 story or split level designs.

In commercial with tin studs virtually everything is suspended ceiling and the conduit can be run anywhere without having to peirce walls etc.

Reply to
clare

More likely Payola. The conduit and wire suppliers are "connected" - and absolutely no question, the unions are.

Reply to
clare

sid posted for all of us...

I know I'm coming in late but... In my case the boxes will never be where they should be... The boxes will never be where I expect them to be - in spite of all documentation.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Empty boxes are perfectly legal. That means no wires as well as no receptacles. If there are wires in the box then it is a pull or junction box and it must be accessible without removing structural components or finish materials.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne