Electricity prices to jump

Like their distant ancestors the "Cave Liberals"? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Californians can also do some things that invoke "The Law Of Unintended Results" I remember reading something about problems in San Francisco with the sewer system due to all the water saver toilets. It seems that there is not enough water flowing down sewer pipes to "flush" away all the excreta. I always knew Liberals were full of crap. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
HeyBub

Damn sure is. No jobs equals plants that use no power. Higher taxes mean that consumers save where they can, just to pay them. One way to save is to cut your power usage, that is, do without TV or the internet, drying your clothes on a backyard line, eating cold food (do you have to cook arugula?), don't run the vacuum, and so on. All because of taxes. And unemployment.

Who said anything about the environment? Still, we didn't build the first air-conditioned sports stadium to be ostentatious.

Good-o for you. Mine is 7.6 cents in Houston. Of course there are add-on fees... Also, Texas is not connected to the two national power grids. We're on our own, so to speak.

Reply to
HeyBub

I did.

And I'll provide further proof:

============ National Energy Technology laboratory

An Investigation into California?s Residential Electricity Consumption July 29, 2009

See Table 6 (page 18).

Table 6 shows differences between the US (excluding California) and California in the RECS data used in constructing the models. It also shows other basic statistics such as minimums, maximums, and standard deviations for each category in the U.S. and California.

California has much milder climate than the rest of the U.S., larger number of household members, smaller homes in terms of square footage, a higher cost per unit of electricity, and lower HEC (household electricity consumption). ===========

Some key points from that study:

- Factors that are significant in predicting electricity consumption are income, average cost of electricity, size of the home, climate, and whether the home uses electricity for heating, cooling, cooking, and water.

- The estimates from the model with California interaction terms suggests that variables that may have significantly different effects between California and the rest of the U.S. are square footage, number of household members and whether a home uses electricity for cooking.

It seems that on a per-household basis, that California's electrcity use is 40% lower than the rest of the country, and roughly half of that amount can't be accounted for by various models even when climate is factored into account.

However, when you look at the numbers in Table 6, specifically the average heating-degree days, you see that the national average (excluding California) is 4,625, while California is 1,686. This is the largest difference in any metric or factor being studied.

Reply to
Home Guy

The key to this is that per capita takes ALL electricity for ALL uses, gloms it together and divides by the number of people. **All** uses including industrial, etc. So, if you have high unemployment and closed factories that will impact on the demand per capita.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hold on there.

From what I've read, California's low per-capita rate of electricity usage has been reported specifically for residential usage.

Whether or not commercial / industrial use on a "per facility" basis is also conspicuously low in California - I don't know. I haven't seen (nor looked) for those numbers.

Reply to
Home Guy

Per Capita energy use in California has been steadily decreasing for more than the last 30 years. Industry hasn't

I was repeating someone elses excuses

That's my total price after add-ons

Just imagine if your per capita usage was equivalent to California's, your power companies could be selling all that excess capacity (at high prices) to other states...if you were connected

And you are connected to the Mexican Grid

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Imagine that. Cities all across the continent are reducing water and all you can find is one example from a city with sewers over a hundred years old?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

AZ has over 20% more cooling-degree days than TX bust has approximately the same energy use.

Conservation?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Humidity. Swamp coolers in Arizona work as well as A/C in Texas but use (I'm guessing) 1/10th the power.

Reply to
HeyBub

Still, closed factories, even if their power usage is not part of the equation, result in higher unemployment. Higher unemployment, in turn, causes the unemployed to seek out all possible savings. One of these savings is power usage.

So, then, the unemployed cut because they must.

Reply to
HeyBub

We're also connected to the Eastern Grid in two places: One small area near Tyler, Texas and another small area next to the Oklahoma border. Both of these, and the Mexican connection, are miniscule and hardly worth mentioning.

As for selling power to other, more benighted and more regulated states, its far easier for the residents of those states to move to Texas. Some do.

I wouldn't want California's per-capita consumption because it comes with other consequences: unemployment and having to eat the bark off trees in the city parks.

No thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Think about it. A family of 5 will use perhaps 10 gallons flushing toilets (aka black water) but will use a lot more than that for washing (people, laundry, dishes etc often called gray water). So the reality 10 or 20 gallons of black water one way or the other won't make a bit of difference.

Parts of the country have one used recycled gray water for watering plants and grass. None of those areas seem to be reporting a problem with pushing sh|t down hill.

Reply to
NotMe

swamp coolers?

Reply to
NotMe

I had a thought that since San Francisco is on the coast, ocean water could be used to flush the sewer system. I lived on an island in the middle of The Pacific for a while and there were two water supplies for each building, one potable for drinking and one seawater to flush toilets. Of course I have no idea how a sewage treatment plant would handle salt water or if the treatment system would work with it. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

stealing city owned laxatives is illegal

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

the only thing proven false is that SF has a, pardon the pun, a shitty sewer system

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

and that isn't conservation?

Reply to