Electrical short

Hi, We have and old DeVille model, converted to propane. It is shorting out and tripping my GFCI. Any ideas for tracing the short or has anyone experienced the same and found the trouble spot?

Reply to
Michael

What's plugged into the GFCI? If nothing pull the GFCI out and be sure there are not a bunch of ants (water whatever) in there. If all looks well and it fails without a load, replace the GFCI.

Reply to
gfretwell

A Cadillac DeVille? Probably not, but unless you're in a specifically stove forum, you really should say what you're talking about. I've never heard of such a stove before.

Also you don't say the time-span between tripping. Can you cook dinner for a week before it trips again, or is it 45 seconds? Things you know and we don't would help you get a good answer.

How do you know it's a short and not a ground fault? You probably have fewer wires than my electric stove does, so I'd just go at it with a volt-ohmeter (multimeter) looking for both shorts and opens. How long can it take?

If there were a repeated short, I think you'd hear arcing or see evidence of it. Dark spot on the cabine next to wires, melted strands. Melted insulation. But maybe not . Check the ground first.

Reply to
micky

Could you be more specific about what your problem is? A DeVille what? DeVille to me means Cadillac. That doesn't go along with GFCI to me.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman