Electric shaver discovery

I discovered that you can use shaving cream with both a rotary shaver and the Andis shaver.

Just rinse the heads off 2 -3 times during your shave.

It produces a shave that is as close as a blade shave.

It probably also extends the head and blade life.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Hi Andy,

My facial hair is akin to steel wire. I have found them tos be a woman's revenge for men buying them the cheap gallon jug of Walmart perfume for Christmas.

My experience is that they are either electric face messagers or electric hair pullers.

I have though about trying one again, but the market is flooded with 3C (cheap Chinese crap) and I think now-a-days quality no longer exists and they will be even worse.

I may be wrong, but...

-T

Consumer Reports has these at the top of the list. Foil shavers: Braun Series 7. Rating 80 Rotary shavers: Phillips Norelco Senso Touch 3d. Rating 73

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have a cheap foil and a Norelco and the foil gives closest shave. I use them dry but the Norelco could run wet. Takes less than a minute to dry shave. I put nothing else on face and have no problems with irritation. Been doing it for over twenty years after going on blood thinner.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I'm on an anticoagulant too but use a blade for a really close shave and a Norelco for a quick touch-up or when I either don't want to or have time to do a full wet shave.

I can't remember the last time I nicked myself shaving though. The key is to use a really sharp razor (I use Schick 3-blade disposables) and not press hard.

The real secret to a safe, close shave though is to lather up and shave twice using next to no pressure. I learned that from a wizened old timey barber in an ancient downtown barber shop. He told me that's how barbers manage not to slice customers shaving them with a straight razor.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I shave in the shower. Plastic mirror. Similar idea, wash your face first. My daughter gave me a travel kit with Harry's razor. Very smooth

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

These things are nice to know but I do not have a heavy beard and most is grey so I do not need a close shave. I know the modern multi-bladed razors are unlikely to cut you but prefer the speed of the electric.

When I had the pulmonary embolism that led to a lifetime of blood thinners I had a hospital roommate for three days that had cut himself shaving, developed and infection and was allergic to penicillin. He was using the old fashioned double edged razor and did not realize that the blade broke when he put it in and sliced himself with the protruding blade.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I shaved for many years. I started with my brother's Ronson razor.

They didn't use the term then but I guess it's what is meant by a FOIL razor. The first time I pushed too hard and got 50 places where I was bleeding, more than one for each of the little holes!!!! I guess I was about 14? I learned not to press and not to cut myself.

Later I switched to a double-edged safety razor, which had been my father's and came in a nice box with a springy lid. Back to cutting myself I tried my college roommate's had a metal top but plastic handle and it worked much better. I used shaving cream, it makes the whiskers softer.

I also bought a straight razor from a barber, for some reason, and iirc that worked on the easily available parts of my face, but not so much on some corners. I dont' remember getting rid of that, but I havent' seen it for decades.

The shaving cream made it harder to see what I was doing, so eventually I stopped. If the blade is sharp, it's not needed, but otoh if it's brand new, it's probably too sharp and back to cutting myself.

Finally, at one of ths shlock stores in lower NY, the one at the corner of Chambers St. and West Broadway, they were selling all plastic safety razors, for 10 cents a piece. I bought 3 and liked them so much I went back and bought 10 more. Unfortunately, they break and I'm down now to 1 or 2. They weigh almost nothing (which is even better than the one with the plastic handle) and somehow that means I don't cut myself.

I think they were made to be provided at hotels, like the little shampoo bottles. They use similar ones at the doctors, t hose places that insist on shaving your for an ECG, or surgery, and when my last one is gone, I plan on betting them for a few. Mine unscrew so the blades can be changed. These don't, and they already have a blade.

I've found that the double and triple edged blades, where the blades face the same direction, never cut me, but they don't give a close shave either, after they clog with whiskers, which is right away. Plus they're expensive. But I wasn't able to buy Gilette-styple 1950's style blades anymore, or they were all platimum quoted, so I found on ebay 100 blades for $8.00 or 200 for $10 (made in Turkey!!), and now I have only used a few of the 200 but I don't shave anymore.

Reply to
micky

When and if I shave off my beard, I'll try that.

Reply to
micky

Glad to hear you have a soft hairs.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Are you talking about a safety razor? Where the 2 sided blade fits in a shaver and has 2 sides?

I use one sometimes because the blades are only 10 cents each.

I have to be more careful though. :-)

Andy

Reply to
AK

Doesn't that soap dry out your skin?

Reply to
AK

Yes.

I have used ivory soap, but it really dried out my skin.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Yes, that was it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not sure I would call them soft but they are mostly grey plus I never had that bad 5 o'clock shadow even when young. I did go through all the facial hair routines and found it took more time to groom when I had shrubbery.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Am I supposed to wash behind my ears. I hear that on tv, but my mother never told me that, and I've never washed there. Now I think the dirt is an inch deep.

Reply to
micky

Grew a beard years ago and a couple people said "it makes you look ten years younger" Fast forward a dozen years and I shaved it off. A couple of people said "you look ten years younger"

I'm thinking of alternating every six months until I look like a teenager again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Be careful, you may end up looking like a baby.

You already look 20 years younger. That's pretty good.

Reply to
micky

Sounds like a good plan.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I'm 75. When I got my first career job at age 27 , I came home at the end of the day, looked in the mirror, and my hairline was receding! After only one day! At the sides of the forehead.

48 years later, it hasn't moved at all, and I guess it didn't recede in the first place. But my beard has turned grey and during my 4-month trip, I didn't have a good way to trim it.

At the airport, some sweet girl about 18 offered to put my suitcase on the scale at the ticket counter. I wasn't very nice to her. "Do I look like I need help?" Obviously I did. I did thank her but I didn't soften what i'd said enough.

It's a lot thinnner but I still have a full head of brown hair. One person said if I shaved off my beard, I'd look 10 years younger.

After having rheumatic fever as a child, my father died at 62. My brother said he still had partly brown hair.

Reply to
micky