Electric Question

If you have a flickering refrigerator light due to a loose connection, does the removal of the light bulb eliminate the threat of arcing?

Reply to
Gena

No, it removes the bulb, but leave an open socket and the same loose connection that can still arc to something grounded.

It is also possible that the bulb itself has a loose filament and is causing the flicker.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Change the bulb, You may have some other problem but I wouldnt call the repairman without replacing the bulb first.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Or maybe even just loose in its socket?

(He didn't say.)

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Yes it does. It will remove the "load" from the circuit, which is what would cause the arcing.

Reply to
RBM

That would depend on weather the neutral OR the hot is arcing. If the hot is arcing removing the bulb won't help.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

It most certainly will

Reply to
RBM

That depends on where/what is the source of the ground-fault path...

--

Reply to
dpb

It could be something simple as a defective door switch. Unplug the fridge, then remove the door switch and jump it out, then plug in the fridge again. If the light stops flickering, you found the problem.

Reply to
Mike rock

Huh?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Second that in spades!

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

How do you figure that, Nimrod.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

I don't believe you have a working grasp of what a "complete circuit" entails. Arcing will occur at the point of any loose connection. The greater the load on the circuit, the more arcing that will occur. Any method that you employ to open that circuit will prevent arcing from occurring. You can open the hot leg. You can open the neutral. You can remove the "load", in this case, light bulb. All will open the circuit and prevent arcing at the point of the loose connection.

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for your response.

A light is not really needed in this small basement fridge and I can rest easily regarding the arcing worry.

Reply to
Gena

I assume the bulb is the only thing intermittent, so it would be safe to assume that it is on a parallel independent circuit. So the answer is yes. It breaks the current path and stops the arcing

Reply to
tnom