Cementing plexiglass

I need to glue a plesiglass shelf to plexiglass sides. I cannot use screws (visual reasons). What adhesive would you recommend for a long-lasting, solid fix?

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I believe acetone by itself will work. It is a solvent for the polymer but you must work fast as it evaporates.

Reply to
Frank

Weld-on makes good products for plexiglass. Here's some manuals:

[URL="
"]Acrylic Fabrication manuals[/URL]

------------------------------------- skottc

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 362668 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
skottc

skottc had written this in response to

:

opp, try:

------------------------------------- skottc

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 362670 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
skottc

The glued joint won't be very pretty either, and will be a weak point. They don't vanish at all. Even pro-made items avoid 'T' joints in favor of artful folded panels, or decorative metal pegs set through holes drilled in the side piece. I've even seen shelf pegs cast out of clear resin, for what you are trying to do. Any way you can make a upside down U shape for the center shelf?

It'd help if we knew what you were making, and the dimensions. If it is small, and you can use thick stock for the sides, you could cut a groove to hold the shelf. With a lot of polishing of the cut ends and the slot, that would almost vanish.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Weld On cements are based on methylene chloride. Professional fabricators, building sign installers and tinkerers have used it for years. The bond is about as strong as the acrylic, and in sign work, transparent acrylic legs are cemented to the vacuum formed colored letters for attachment to the building by mechanical means.. The only trick involved is getting the mating surfaces fairly close by sanding smooth or milling. For small projects application of the pure solvent cement (unbodied) is easily done with hypodermic needles. Bodied Weld On is used for imperfectly fitting pieces. Your plastics supplier will have the cement and instructions for using it. A typical 8" x 24" x 1/4" shelf precisely dimensioned will support a considerable weight when cemented in this way. Large furniture pieces used to be common that were invisibly cemented. Try some test pieces to be sure of your technique. Always works for me.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe