Electric fence to deter copper thieves

"[RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif] It?s a shocking way to stop the copper theft crime-wave ? a 7,000-volt electric security fence. The Rancho Cordova City Council voted Monday night to draft an ordinance allowing businesses to put up electric security fences that will zap would-be copper thieves."

First, I find it hard to believe that the citizens of California would countenance such a Draconian measure when the copper foragers are merely trying to put modest slices of bread in the mouths of their undernourished - and sometimes starving - children.

Secondly, if the advocates of this plan think that thieves have not heard of insulated wire cutters, they are dumber than a crate of anvils.

The plan is definitely NOT for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or to feed their crack habit, in which case I applaud the town council.

Reply to
Bill Palmer

I told you that your american society and way of life is going down the toilet - and that this theft of metal (urban mining) is one such example. Street lights, copper wiring, air conditioners, manhole covers, bronze statues.

We don't have any such electric fences here in Canada.

Yours is a country of children.

Reply to
Home Guy

If you honestly think that copper theft doesn't happen in Canada, you're incredibly ignorant.

However, the fact that you post through AIOE.ORG suggests that you're just another stinking troll.

Reply to
Bert

Easily defeated.

Reply to
harry

You think we can't google?

Earl J. Hickey

It's too bad they limit the current on the fence.

I love stories like this:

Bernt Berger

Homo Gay, you've never explained why you waste your time communicating with such backward people as we Americans. Why aren't you spending your time in discussions with such superior people as Canadians and Europeans? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why do you have a problem with aioe.org?

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

You must have just started reading this group?

"home guy" and his hundred other aliases imagines that he is the only true spokesperson for Canada. And given that role he continuously argues that human behavior is somehow different in Canada. Others have reminded him that they actually live there and go there but he insists his imaginary role makes him all knowledgeable and any other views are wrong.

Reply to
George

I think my killfile entry for snipped-for-privacy@Guy.com must have expired.

Reply to
Bert

Because it's populated, in the main, a rat bag of shoddy pedagogues, athletes of the tongue, professional picknits and stink-eyes filling the stupid hours of their pointless days with nagging the yellow-bellied.

Or so I've been told. Don't know from first hand knowledge.

Reply to
HeyBub

The difference is that metal theivery is an absolute epidemic in the US.

Reply to
Home Guy

It doesn't happen on the scale that it does in your bankrupt country.

And you're a stinking douchebag regardless *where* you post from Bert.

Reply to
Home Guy

We've had a few get toasted up here trying to steel copper from live high voltage circuits.

Reply to
clare

I can't find the story on the web now, but three or four years ago ,,,,

A lady looked out at night and saw vehicles in the neighbor's driveway.

She knew the neighbors were on vacation, so she called the police.

Police found three or four men in the basement, water up to their waists.

They went in to steal the plumbing, and didn't turn the water off before starting to cut. When the flow began, they STILL didn't turn it off. Before long, water reached something electrical and put them in the dark. Not their house, so they couldn't remember which way the stairs were.

The punch line was that one of them lived next door, married to the woman who called the police.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

That seems to be the intelligence of a lot of the thieves.

One church here in Montreal had their roof stolen, and it cost a whole lot more to replace it than the stolen copper was worth. Odd things do keep disapp[earing, including memorial plaques.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It's called missionary syndrome. Gotta educate the starving heathens.

Reply to
harry

Based on the number of wire thieves that end up electrocuting themselves, perhaps not all of them are aware that insulated cutters exist, or even, apparently, that electricity can kill you. I say: "Turn the juice up and let them cook." Install a CCTV cam to post the videos on YouTube.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Oh my God, I can't imagine what Canadian nuns would be like. The poor little school kids would have nightmares about albino penguins. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas