electric blanket not lasting long

Just to update, I gave up on trying any more electric items for the bed and I am now trying out several comforters. I think I found a winner with not too prohibitive a cost and will report back in a day or two if anyone is curious.

Reply to
R2D4

Yep same thing here. I'm I lovvvveeeee an electric blanket but I've had Biddeford and Sunbeam... Sunbeam definitely lasts months longer than the Biddeford but I still can't afford to replace every few months.

I just purchased a Biddeford and I shoulda spent the extra money and got the Sunbeam Becos Biddle just died after (LITERALLY) 31 days.... I looked at the receipt. I only used it maybe 20 of those times.

I'm saying turn up the heat... unfortunately

Reply to
NatesMawMaw

EXACTLYYYYYYY!!! even the ones I bought back around 2001-2008 did MUCH better. I just bought a biddleford Feb of 2021...it died with a error code of E .... middle of March😔

Reply to
NatesMawMaw

Yes you are so right. Except for Buicks...lol I have a Buick LeSabre 2004.... and it runs as good as the first time I drove it. With no major repairs. ♥️

Reply to
NatesMawMaw

Shoot if that the case my husband would have caught fire and took out the entire county 😲

Reply to
NatesMawMaw

I had a 2001 Buick LeSebre that fell apart. Long list of things starting with transmission, seat, brake lines, AC, vent system, windows, and much more. Gave it away. Will never buy another GM car.

Reply to
bob

I've had a Sunbeam for well over 10 years and it still works fine. Possibly the new ones are less well made.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yep it appears to be the case that they are selling junk..same think happened to me

Reply to
Lesliecastle

Sounds as though you never had a bed partner who (1) hates the weight of multiple blankets or other coverings, (2) usually but not always needs much more warmth than you can endure, and (3) multiple times during the night wakes up to adjust the degree of warmth from the bed by adding or removing bed coverings. Best solution for us: dual control electric blankets with only a bedspread on top of it. I get to sleep undisturbed with the blanket thermostat set at about 3 all night and she can crank her side up and down as much as she desires without affecting my comfort. We've had a sunbeam for more than 10 years now after having several others fail in just one or two winters. We realized that we need to completely avoid sitting on the blanket even when it is entirely smooth, not tucked in, and covered with a bedspread. The wires are so fragile that they break inside the insulation. Now we pull back the upper sheet, blanket, and bedspread before sitting on the bed and no electric blanket has failed since we started doing that.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

We have had our Sunbeam for well over 15 years and it still works just fine. It is getting a little "natty" - we generally use it just to "warm the bed" since we keep the house rather cool-ish in the winter. The duvet and flasnel sheet keep us warm once we are into the warmed bed. On the ODD occaision it will be on for the night.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have the same problem, on my 3rd one they just sent me and it literally worked a week and a half, controller is flashing and won’t reset. it was a gift but a total waste of money. Will never buy another one.

Reply to
Veronica

Strange - on our second one in 40 years and the first one still worked but was getting pretty threadbare. Both were Sunbeam. This one is AT LEART 20 years old.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yeah, same with my Sunbeams.

Bet she is morbidly obese and that's what is killing them so quickly.

Reply to
lkpo

My Sunbeam blank I blinking F2 and will not heat. I’ve had it less than one year. Why

Reply to
Glenn Ezard

Maybe your farts are corrosive and ruined it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have two different brands of electric blankets and both only lasted one month.

Reply to
Wanda

Obviously homemoaners hub syndrome.

Reply to
bud--

That's nothing! My wife and I went through three of them on our honeymoon.

Reply to
Jack Trueblood

My wife had a sunbeam electric blanket when we married 41 years ago. I don't know how long she had had it priviously. about 20 years ago it was still working but the blanket itself was getting pretty shaggy and worn, and I saw them on sale at a local retailer for a good price and bought a new one. The old blanket was somewhat over 20 years old and still totally functional, electrically. The current 20 year old blanket is still working just fine - it doesn't look NEW any more - but looks like it should survive at least another 5 years or so. What are people doing with theirs???? Do they leave them bunched up on the bed and turned on when they get out of bed? Do they have wrestling matches on them? Are they using them as mattress heaters (bottom blankets instead of top??? We turn ours on high to warm the bed for half an hour or so then turn it off when we get into bed. It is covered by a light comforter or Duvet. The bedroom temperature is around 17C. On cold nights it might drop a bit - and on occaisin I'll wake up in the middle of the night and turn it back on - on a low setting, for the rest of the night.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Being obscenely morbidly obese.

Not possible with the ones that go on the mattress.

That is what mine is and it has lasted for something like 30 years and gets used all the winter.

I have mine on all the time, even when not in the bed in winter.

Reply to
Jacob Jones