Electric Baseboard Thermostat

My elec. baseboard unit is barely putting out any heat. The thermostat is original to the house 30 years ago. It is a Honeywell T498A All connections at the stat are tight and voltage coming in is OK. Has the thermostat has gone bad? What is the likely. Thanks for any input. problem? The thermostat is only about $24.00

Reply to
John

Possible, I suppose.

You can test it for continuity (unpowered, of course) to see if contacts are closing.

Alternatively, bypass it temporarily and see if the unit itself heats.

--

Reply to
dpb

What about the voltage coming out? That is the determining factor. If out is ok, the heating element is the problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At first I didn't understand, so in case the OP doesn't understand, Ed means the voltage accross the heating element, after the current has passed through the thermostat on one side. It should be the full house voltage.

Or you could measure the voltage across the thermostat. It should be zero or very close to it. On the AC voltage scale, 120 volts or higher, or 240 volts or higher.

Both of these are to be measured while the thermostat is closed, that is, while the heat is on.

Since you are getting some heat, I sort of doubt it is the thermostat Otoh, the heating element doesn't sound too likely either. Perhaps some of the elements are on and working fine and others nearby are not working at all? Or you have some of that new heat-absorbing Halloween candy, and it's been sucking up all the heat.

Reply to
mm

HAve you tried turning up the thermostat to a higher heat level.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Easiest method of diagnosis is to remove / replace component one at a time until the problem is eliminated. In this case, turn off the breaker, remove the thermostat and connect the line and load wires together. Turn on the breaker and see if you get heat. Still no heat, then you have likely have a bad heater. Assuming the breaker is functioning properly. If there are other heaters on the came circuit you can assume it's not the breaker. "John" wrote in message news:st%Gm.7096$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.iad... My elec. baseboard unit is barely putting out any heat. The thermostat is original to the house 30 years ago. It is a Honeywell T498A All connections at the stat are tight and voltage coming in is OK. Has the thermostat has gone bad? What is the likely. Thanks for any input. problem? The thermostat is only about $24.00

Reply to
Mark