baseboard thermostat help..

I have another question concerning my heating system..

In an addition on my house, (Built in '79) there is electric baseboard heat. Singer series 9715 (installed sept, '79) with a Singer Low Voltage Thermostat 5258. (1.5amp 30 volt AC max)

I would like to replace this thermostat, but it is a 30 VAC Max, and does not work with the traditional line voltage thermostatas on the market. I tried a Honeywell RLV430a, and had to return it to lowes as the unit would not power when hooked up. the help line at honey well said I need a low voltage thermostat. I cant find one for a single pole, line voltage system. or atleast a programmable one.

The wires coming out of the wall are a white and brown ( that were hooked up to the original thermostat) and a bunch of others just folded over, many colors, about 8 total. alittle confused about that.

and ideas on a digital programmable stat for this setup? most of the ones out there are 120/240 volts.. or the extra wires? kinda new to this homeowner thing, but am trying to learn as I go.. It seems there is low volt thermos but not for electric baseboards.. i dont know..

thanks for some help..

-- J

-------------------------------------

Reply to
jaynvck

You have answer your own question "30 volts max." with 24 VAC should work just fine

Reply to
Grumpy

You either use a low voltage thermostat or a line voltage thermostat...but not both . If you already had a low voltage thermostat which used to work fine, then replace it with a low voltage programmable thermostat if you like and it will work fine . When using the low voltage thermostat with a baseboard heater, the thermostat is simply energizing a 24 v. coil relay at the Baseboard Heater which in turn allows the Baseboard Heater to work. A line voltage thermostat energizes the Baseboard Heater directly without any relay and is 'normally' already mounted on the Baseboard Heater unit at one end of it (although it could be wall mounted and wired back to the Heater) . The additional wires you see in the Heater are voltage supply and return wires for the actual Heater element and they should not be touched.

Reply to
ilbebauck

thanks for the help.. this forum is great.

Jason

Reply to
jaynvck