earth connection 600 mm from gas meter

In the US gas piping is required to be bonded to the electrical service. I.E. run a properly sized conductor from the gas pipe to the electrical grounding bar. Does not matter the distance.

The fact that your giving the dimension in "mm" tells me your not in the US.

600 mm translates to about 24 inches and I am not aware of any US grounding requirement meeting that situation.

Try calling your local code authority.

Reply to
SQLit

in case there is an electrical short to your gas line, it will not pass through the meter. instead it will go to ground. also if there is a short outside the house on the gas line, it will also not pass into your house. this is good because high current through certain fittings can cause them to fail and/or age prematurely.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

hi, have just been told by a gas fitter that there should be an earth connecton via a 'bonding connection' a maximum distance of 600mm from my gas meter.

what does this do exactly? Is it all that important since gas men did not fit one some time ago when they were in?

Reply to
jw 1111