Drywall Repair Question

I have two holes to fix in my ceiling, both are in the 1'x2' range. Plus, as an added bonus the ceiling is knowdown textured. I'll put up a couple of backing strips to give the drywall support. I will be using paper tape, not the fiber mesh. My question is: Should I overlap the tape at the corners of the repair?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
JJ

yes, assure ample joint-compound under tape. It should shrink somewhat as it dries. I try to scrape off excess ceiling texture about 1 to 1-1/2" from edge of existing hole before applying tape.

- - - jjoy

Reply to
jjoy

Since it's textured, you can overlap the tape. When it's flat, I run the longest sides a bit long and then cut the shorter pieces to fit inside. It's a little easier to finish that way without humps. With texture, you'll never see the overlap. Hardest part will probably be matching the texture reasonably well.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Absolutely, good luck trying to match it up! You will probably have to redo the whole ceiling with knockdown to match it without seeing the seam. I've had no luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave