Question on house support polls

Hi, I recently installed 2 metal house support polls.. you know the kind you put in your basement of old homes to help support floors? Well as I was reading the directions it said to put the crank part at the top for steel and at the bottom for wood floors.. was just curious.. why is this?

~ Matt

Reply to
Matt

Supporting steel doesn't require a base plate as rigid as wood, therefore the plate welded to the tube will spread the load more effectively on wood. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I have totally no clue.

However, my father the editor would have reminded you that a survey is a poll, and a vertical shaft is a pole.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon