Dry wall anchors for metal studs

What kind of drywall anchors should I use with metal studs?

Thanks!

Reply to
crabshell

Depends on what you're hanging. If it's not too great of a load I use toggle bolts or Molly anchors.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:b871dfdc-a2e8-4fd8-80cb- snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

It's a wood plaque that weighs about 3 lbs.

Reply to
crabshell

b-

If it's that small, I'd use those little plastic inserts.

Drill a slightly undersized hole in the drywall, push them in & use a small screw.

Or alternatively use picture hooks.

For really heavy loads, self-drilling / self-taping sheet metal screws into the steel studs provide a very strong connection.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

You don't even have to hit the metal studs with something that light. You can use a plastic anchor right into the drywall. I like the ones that have a trident shaped point and drill into the drywall, then the screw is screwed into the plastic drill-in anchor (don't hit studs with these). There are plenty of people that would simply use a nail driven at an incline into the drywall and call it good. Whether you should do that or not would depend on the value of what you were hanging.

RicodJour

On 9/30/2008 9:41 AM BobK207 spake thus:

There's something even better.

One of my customers had me hang a mirror with some hooks she got, I think, at Home Despot: they were called something like "Super Hooks", "Mega Hooks" or some such. They're hardened steel hooks that you basically just jam the sharp end of into the wall and push in. The shape of the hook holds it securely. (They only work on drywall, not lath and plaster walls.) They're about 6" long, but only a small hook protrudes from the wall after installation.

I haven't been able to find these hooks anywhere. Anyone else ever seen them or know where to get them?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

80cb-

They're advertised all over the tube - I think by that Billy May's mouthpiece. I don't know the exact name - Magic Hooks?

RicodJour

*My mother got a bunch of those hooks from somewhere. I was very impressed with their holding power and ease of installation. They also make minimal damage to the wall.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Hercules Hooks!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Senor, that link...I do not think she goes where you think she goes.

RicodJour

Try the "as seen on TV" shelf at Walgreens. I have seen them there.

Reply to
Chuck

Velcro tape.

Reply to
aemeijers

If it's that small, I'd use those little plastic inserts.

Drill a slightly undersized hole in the drywall, push them in & use a small screw.

Or alternatively use picture hooks.

For really heavy loads, self-drilling / self-taping sheet metal screws into the steel studs provide a very strong connection.

What is the tape for?

Reply to
PanHandler

A simple finishing nail driven into the drywall ought to hold three pounds.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hercules Hooks!

Jerry

Lee Valley has the same thing - called "Monkey Hooks" see here -

Doug Brown

Velcro 2-layer tape- stick half to the wall, and half to the item you want to hang up. Unless wall or item is greasy, will easily hold several pounds. And because the velcro pulls apart, you can keep trying till you get it exactly straight on the wall. If the paint is sem-gloss or shinier, you can usually pull it off without any visible damage. I use it a lot at work, on the 80 year old hard plaster over brick walls that we are not allowed to molest with holes.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I should have asked what kind of self taping screws.

Reply to
PanHandler

That slid right past me- too many hours at a day staring at a screen- my brain corrects typos without even seeing them. I thought y'all were asking about my earlier post touting Velcro.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Okay, now it makes sense- a Google Groups posting. The Google software sometimes runs the comment and the previous post together. I didn't realize the 'what is the tape for' was from a different poster.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers