Drainage Problem

Hi -

I wondered if you could suggest the best solution to a small water problem. My soil is clay, but the area close to the house has been cultivated and enriched with some organic material.

I have had a little water intrusion into my basement off and on for several years in my 30-year old house. The exterior slope is slightly toward the house and when we have had some downpours, especially when the gutters stopped up, we got a little water in the basement.

A relative said I need a drainage system, like a gutter, right up against the house. I did not know if that would work, am guessing there is a better solution. I don't know if I should just try to change the slope of the lawn in front of that wall or if I need a french drain too. I can taper the landscape slightly down away from the wall to about 3 and 1/2 feet from the house. If I go further than that, I'll need to dig up some "mops." Should I try that first, then if we get water again install the french drain at that lowest point? Do you have another better idea?

Thank you, Gary

Reply to
gary.roberts1

That makes sense. Try the simpler solution first and keep those gutters clean.

RicodJour

first reslope lawn and recommend exterior french drain at that time, keep gutters clean and make certaion downspout lines are good and dump water far from home.

do these together why dig up the same area twice?

if that fails go to a interior french drain system, it will fix the problem

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
gary.roberts1