Drain cleaner to clear toilet?

. . . No, not to pour down the toilet but to pour down the drain of one of the sinks that connect to the same pipe that goes out through the basement wall.

The sinks seem to drain OK, but the toilet typically takes two flushes to clear semi-solid waste and makes "glug glug" noises that the other toilets (connected to a different pipe) do not make.

I have used a snake on the toilet, but there is no sign of anything being dislodged.

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

It sounds like a blocked vent. Drain cleaner will not help. How long has this been a problem? Could it relate to some very cold weather?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Diving from left field. Have you checked the tank water level recently? Raise it a bit.

Those low flow toilets are a pain some times.

Reply to
SQLit

We've only been in this house since mid-November, so the weather has been rather cold the whole time (we're in Michigan). The toilet did overflow once, and snaking it cleared that blockage, but the water has always seemed to come up a long way when we flush (even before the overflow).

I wondered about a vent problem. Any way to check or remedy without climbing up on the roof?

MB

On 01/26/04 07:52 am Joseph Meehan put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

I don't think it's a low tank level: the water comes dangerously close to the top of the toilet bowl already.

MB

On 01/26/04 09:56 am SQLit put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Not that I know, but I don't know all that much.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I wouldn't bet against the toilet itself being most of the problem. Look over the workings of low cost and then the better toilets at any plumbing supply or box store. Note the smaller unglazed and more convoluted outlets on the cheapos and see if your home unit has these characteristics. If so, the next move is obvious...replace with a better product and your problem likely will be solved. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Start with

is your free training class on toiletology. After going to classes, ask again if you still have the question. And especially take notes during the portion on Blue Goo. Since it is very similar to your e-mail name of Goon But Not Forgotten.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Did you use a narrow drain snake (like for sink drains) or a closet auger? The crank rigs designed for toilets use a much larger snake, and do a different job. I've got a Ridgid #3 closet auger (about $25 at Home Depot) and it does a better job on toilets than the thin snakes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This makes me think that there is an obstruction in the drain. After it fills "dangerously close to the top" does it then fall to a normal level over time? If so there is likely a blockage somewhere in the drain, not the vent.

RB

M> I don't think it's a low tank level: the water comes dangerously close

Reply to
RB

I have a toilet in my brand new home doing this after my girlfriend, who sometimes doesn't think too much, flushed some paper towels down it. It comes close to over-flowing then drains slowly back down to below normal water level (in the bowl). I've tried plunging the hell out of it with no luck.

What is the problem? Does it require a plumber or is it something I can do myself?

Thanks! Brad snipped-for-privacy@spam.this.bitch.hotmail.com Remove spam.this.bitch to email me.

RB wrote:

Reply to
FL-

Reply to
nospambob

It's no wonder that the paper towels remained in tact. It's really interesting to read some of the patents of the newer batch of "paper towels." In the interest of honest labeling it would be a good idea to advertise them as plastic towels.

I see people using them in microwave ovens for cooking. I wonder if anyone has assessed the health impact of these plastics in food?

RB

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Reply to
RB

Most toilets are designed so that they have enough volume in the bowl to accept the entire contents of the tank and just be filled to the brim. Flush again before it drains down and you'll need waders though.

If the bowl fills on the first flush it is likely that the blockage is close to the toilet, or possibly even in the trap of the toilet. If the blockage were to be further down in the drain pipe the pipe as well as the bowl would be filling and the water level on the first flush wouldn't rise to the brim.

A snake should enable you to get to the blockage and remove or dislodge it. These "plastic towels" don't soften and move out as easily as the older paper towels.

RB

FL- wrote:

Reply to
RB