Downdraft Cooktop

We just bought a house that has a jenn-air downdraft exhaust electric cooktop on an island. We hate cooking with electric and plan to bring in propane and change the cooktop to gas. In shopping for a new cooktop, we've found that the only gas cook top that has a built-in exhaust fan is also made by jenn-air. are there other brands that have a built-in exhaust fan? also, a salesman told us that the jenn-air fans, since they are flat on the surface, don't have exhaust drawing power of the g as cook tops that require a separate fan that rises from the island. the problem is you have to buy the cook top and the fan separately and the two become very expensive, the way the house is designed we can't use a regular exhaust hood. any thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

Reply to
XXX

Not what you want to hear but you will learn to like electric if use it for awhile.

IMO the ovens are superior. Baked goods are far better. The self clean is an asset.

The home interior stays far cleaner and painting is less frequent.

And you will learn how to use the cooktop if you give it a chance. I was a dedicated gas person for a long time before I was forced to make the change. Yes I do cook.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I also have a Jenn-air island electric cooktop. I'm sure the advice regarding an overhead hood being more effective is true. When I'm generating smoke, I can see that only maybe 75% of it is being drawn into the exhaust. It's just impossbile to effectively suck air sideways from a distance. Plus, I would think an overhead would draw less conditioned air out of the house. You could have the fan set on a lower setting and still have it be effective.

I'd have to disagree with the recommendation to stay with the electric range. If you want to change, do it. Most professional chefs agree that gas is best for the range, electric for the ovens. That is why you see many dual fuel options now. When it comes time to replace mine, that is what I will get.

Reply to
trader4