Double hung window repair

I have have a house full of double hung windows. ( actually only the lower half raises and the upper half stays fixed) The spring has a plastic cover on the upper half which has become brittle and needs to be replaced. Lockwood the manufacture originally from Canada has gone out of business as far as I can tell. Is that plastic sleeve at all a standard replacement part.for other window manufacture If so where would I find them.

Reply to
hank

On Jan 5, 9:18 am, hank wrote: ...

Probably not -- most things of that ilk are pretty much vendor- specific moldings.

About only chance would be to look around at various suppliers/ manufacturers in your area and see if they have anything close enough to be useful. Unfortunately, you're probably on your own to make up something to make do.

Reply to
dpb

Spring balancing is non-standard. The classic mechanism was a sash cord running over a pulley to a counterweight that moves up and down in a channel hidden within the window frame (reached via a mitred wood hatch.) If your Lockwood springs break, it may be possible to retrofit the standard mechanism.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Try a plastics supplier like Cope Plastics. They will have rigid tubing or sleeving made from a variety of materials. Also, look at industrial supply places for plastic sleeving, Mc Master-Carr or Grainger. It may also be possible to survey the window display products at a box store and if a similar product is used on one of those, the customer service at that manufacturer could be persuaded to sell you some. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Ah, the memories.

My old double hungs had the same plastic covered springs as you describe.

When I was ripping them out to replace with vinyl, I got real good at closing my eyes and ducking when I'd pry the spiral-nail out of the top of the window frame. The spring would retract violently and send pieces of brittle plastic flying in all directions.

It was actually the most fun part of the job!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They might not be the same but check with one of your local suppliers to see if you can retrofit aluminum spring balances. They are about the same thing, but are in an aluminum tube. I know I found some for my old aluminum windows at Jones Aluminum here in Tulsa. I know you don't have Jones where you are. They sell all kinds of aluminum products such as carports and awnings.

Who knows a place like that might have the original plastic ones. Take one out and take it with you when you find the place so you can be sure you get the right one.

Good luck Bill

Reply to
BillGill

Thanks for the suggestions especially joe with Cope Plastic lead. Still searching Hank

Reply to
hank

By the way, what you have is known as a "single hung", not double hung. Double hung has both panes moveable.

Reply to
clare

And double hung windows with that type of system gives you twice as much brittle plastic encasing the springs.

BTDT

Reply to
DerbyDad03