what is double hung?

single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

Reply to
JimL

Single hung has a fixed glass panel on the top, double they both go up and down.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I saw the original post, I thought to myself, "oh boy, I can imagine the responses"

Good to see you helped the OP.

later,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

Well shucks.. now Tom ruined it for me But, I will still add my two cents. Q. What is double hung? A. Mr. Right haha lucy :)

Reply to
lucy

, blushing

Reply to
Kathy

Kathy, hehehe, great minds think alike lucy

Reply to
lucy

Well, it did cross my mind.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I thought size didn't matter. :-)

Reply to
PhotoMan

Never had a woman complain that yours is too large then, eh ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Jim,

"Double hung" windows have two movable sashes. Each sash moves vertically, traveling in its own track. For this reason, the units are also referred to as "double track" windows. Both sashes travel independent of one another and both should travel the entire vertical length of the frame.

Generally, a single hung window will look very much like a double hung window, but the top sash is stationary and just the lower sash moves up and down.

It should be noted that many, many double hung windows are accidentally "converted" into single hung units by inexperienced amateur painters who paint the upper sashes shut. The previous owners of my house did that to every window in the house.

If you have double hung windows which have been painted shut on both the inside and the outside, figure on taking about one hour per window to free the upper sash without damaging the sash, the frame or the glass. Some spot priming and painting may be necessary also. Small first floor windows may go quicker; large and/or second floor windows may take longer, especially if you keep dropping tools while up on the ladder. :)

Gideon

================

Please explain.

Reply to
Gideon

I would see two windows joined together and assumed that was a double hung window but they were often single hung.. Now I know.

What's a good trick to painting so you don't stick the windows shut?

Reply to
JimL

that what she called me.......lucas

Reply to
ds549

wrote in

Yeah! If you were triple hung, then your pants would fit you like a glove......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

JimL wrote: What's a good trick to painting so you don't stick the windows shut?

1) Leave both sashes slightly open (1" or so) so that you only have sticking concerns on the vertical sides of the sashes.

2) Avoid slopping too much paint where the sashes met the frames.

3) Move the sashes up and down a few times while the paint is drying to break any bonding between sashes and frame.

This has worked for me. If you need to remove the sashes for any repairs such as sash cord replacements, then obviously you should paint while the sashes are out. Speaking of sash cords, avoid getting any paint on them. It shortens the life of the cords.

I'm certain that there are pamphlets at hardware stores and paint stores which give a pretty thorough description of the correct painting techniques and the proper sequence of steps for painting the windows.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon