Dosposal of bad gasoline

Strain it through a chammy skin to separate the water, mix in some "heat" and put it in the gas tank of your car a half gallon at a time with a full tank of gas. If it has 2 cycle oil in it, that won't hurt either. Good Luck

Reply to
dickwells

not sure if "legal" or not, but I pour it on the cracks in my driveway, kills all the weeds coming up...

Reply to
jackjohansson

I have a gallon can of gasoline that was left out and has been contaminated with rain water.

What is the best way, legal, of getting rid of my watered down gasoline?

Thanks

Reply to
Hound Dog

I've got plans lying around somewhere for a gasoline powered blowtorch....

Reply to
Goedjn

Definitely not, but I do it to the ant dens in the driveway, anyway...

One can then light it off to eliminate much of the ground contamination and get a little light and heat, besides... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

True, and in any sizable quantity I would agree wholeheartedly. For a little waste leftover from washing a few parts, for example, I decant the solids and save it what's not too bad for next time then use the small amounts for things like ant hills, etc. If it's in an area removed from other things, I'll usually light it off after a little while and that will eliminate most of the residual...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The responsible way is to take it to the dump on a day when they accept household hazardus materials. My city has one per month free to residents with some limitations but a gallon of gas would be no problem.

The easy way is to leave it in an open container and let it evaporate which someone would point out causes air pollution. It's a little too much to burn and definately not legal to dump it anywhere and downright dangerous to dump it in a drain (sanitary or rainwater)

contaminated

Reply to
AutoTracer

How much water? It will usually settle to the bottom and can be siphoned out. Mix in some alcohol and then just use the gas.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not particularly,... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

There's nothing wrong with the gasoline, as the water will sink to the bottom, not mix. This happens all the time (like everytime it rains) with some airplanes left outside. It seems to happen more with flush mounted fuel caps. You don't toss away fifty gallons of very expensive aviation gas, you just keep sampling the bottom of the tank until there is no water (and other contaminants) in the sample. Avgas is typically sampled from each tank and the lowest place in the fuel system after filling the tanks and before each flight for just this reason. Water is no problem once it's been drained out, and water always falls to the bottom of a tank of gasoline.

All you have to do is decant off the gasoline. The chamois cloth technique is a good idea.

Using gasoline for weed control or pouring it on the ground is a very bad idea. Today's gasoline contains many substances (e.g. MTBE, benzene) that don't break down anytime soon and will continue to sink down into the ground and contaminate the water table. A very small quantity of gasoline can contaminate a lot of ground water for many, many years. Cleanup is very expensive but unfortunately not very effective.

Reply to
Jim

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

And also pollutes the water table. It's actually illegal in many places.

Gasoline is a toxic material.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Duane Bozarth wrote: ....

You like to live dangerous (foolish) don't you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't know if you even need the chamois, just decant it. But that is the answer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

so THATS where those giant toxic flesh eating ants are coming from...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Yes there is. You buy a genuine chamois cloth and run the gasoline through it. The water will remain in the chamois and the gasoline will then be water free. An easier way is to dump it in a larger gas can and add a quart of alcohol then pour it into a nearly full fuel tank of a vehicle that will run on regular gasoline.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Dep

-- How does that work?

(I'm not saying it doesn't work, I want to learn about how it works)

thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Contact your municipality for local HazMat regs. They will inform you as to the proper way to dispose of your gasoline. Most likely they're going to direct you to a nearby recyling center.

Rich

Rich

Depending on how much and how his local disposal accepts used motor oil, they may not appreciate the higher volatility not being identified...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

if you have used oil can,put it in there and despose of it with your old oil.

Reply to
ds549

If you know any farmers, they always got a brush pile to burn, and what better way than to toss some crappy gas on it. Donate it to a farmer, and it will be gone from your life and used in the least polluting way possible. Remember, today is Earthday. Don't pollute !

Reply to
maradcliff