door swing prevention

I'm trying to find something that will allow me to have my upvc back door ajar without swinging and banging in the breeze. I have found lots of door stops that will hold the door far too wide open, and stays that only work if the base of the door is level with the floor/ground, but I have a 6" step down to the concrete outside, so the base of the door is nearly 9" from anything solid.

I've covered about 15 pages of google this afternoon, and not seen anything apart from a utube video of something a chap had fashioned out of rigid foam that hooks over door and frame. That would be something to market! Any entrepreneurs out there?

I have tried a bungee looped around the door handle and a table leg coupled with a shoe wedged in the gap, but I was hoping to find something slightly more elegant. Any suggestions much appreciated. Regret that I am not much of a diy-er any more.

Reply to
sadoldhag

What is it banging against? Is there something behind it that it opens/bangs against? How wide are you trying to keep it open?

Perhaps you could mount the following door stop on a decorative base to raise it to the required height or use it as an idea to get you thinking of a similar method. Basically something on the back of the door that clips/sticks to something solid positioned at the point at which you want the door held open.

DerbyDad03

Thanks for that link, I had not found it before. If the door is not restrained it bangs shut against the frame and open against the wall behind it. I have a free-standing doorstop which will hold it wide open against the wall, but it doesn't work if I only want the door ajar because it is too breezy to have it fully open. It is easy enough to stop it banging shut, but I haven't found a way to stop it swinging freely when I only want it just ajar. I guess I might just have to go back to the bungee and shoe method.

Reply to
sadoldhag

Cane bolt

Reply to
dadiOH

Get another freestanding doorstop and put one on both sides.

This example is 15" tall. There are many others. You might have to add weight to the wedge that would normally go under the door. Actually a better idea would be to attach one wedge to the other leaving a door width gap in the middle, making a U. That would hold the door from moving in either direction at any open angle.

If fact, you could make (or have someone make) a heavy U out of any number of materials, including some nice wood or metal decorated in the "elegant" style you desire.

Look here here for some other ideas:

e.g.

BTW...I found all of door stops that I linked to by searching for Tall Door Stops in Google Images. Image searches can sometimes be easier than text searches because you see what you looking for right away.

Me, I'm liking the single U shape idea the best. One object to move around, store, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks dadiOH, spot on. And the site gave me some other ideas, too.

Reply to
sadoldhag

Maybe I missed something.

What site did dadiOH refer you to?