Don't buy locks from a storage locker company

Or, I learned something today about padlocks.

Backstory: I've had a storage locker for a while now, due to having more stuff than I have space. An ex-coworker is in the process of moving, and needs some space. I on the other hand have been reorganizing and culling my stuff and was seriously considering moving to a smaller storage locker now that my stuff is more compacted, so I offered him part of my storage space rather than having each of us rent a locker for more total cost.

Here's where the lock discussion comes in. I'd just bought a padlock from the storage place when I rented the locker as the price was reasonable, which came with two keys. I've carried one on me ever since, I have lost the other one. I tried to get a key copied to give to my friend, which is when I was told that the lock that I had was probably made by Abus of Germany, but that the locksmith (best one I know of in the area) didn't have blanks for it because he said that storage companies often order padlocks from Abus with a custom keyway for whatever reason. I asked what would be the best lock for my application and he said that the lock I had was probably the best design for my application but that I should buy an Abus branded one so he could make me extra keys for it. I asked him if he could sell me one, he said no, he didn't have any but Home Depot or Lowe's probably did. Well neither one had any...

So I got online, found the best deal I could on a stainless-steel Abus padlock (about $20 and free shipping for a model 24IB/70) and went back to the locksmith to have some keys made. He made me two keys for under $10, and told me that the lock that I'd picked was an excellent one (exact comment, "you did really well.")

So I probably paid about $20 for the original lock I'd bought but I can't get keys for it so now it's kind of useless as I only have one key... let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Here's another reason- how do you know that the guy working at the front desk didn't already make a copy for himself?

Reply to
missingchild

didn't already make a copy for himself?

1) Her name is Michelle :) 2) I actually trust that that didn't happen because the lock and keys were in one of those execrable blister packs that require a pocketknife and some dexterity to open without personal injury.

But you make a good point...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

didn't already make a copy for himself?

Of course, they may have a master key that fits all the locks of that brand and model.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What if I just don't lose the keys to the padlocks I already own?

It's always the other guy at fault for your shortcomings, ain't it? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It's always you who's to blame for being an annoying f****it with nothing to contribute. I was trying to help others, you're just being a douche. Again. Still.

Fuck off.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Which nitwits do you think need that kind of "help"... and why shouldn't they simply not lose their keys instead?

Or did you intend to "help" them blame someone else if/when they were so stupid as to show up at a storage facility, presumably with their shit in tow, without a lock?

I never had to buy a lock at a storage facility...

ouch! -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

desk didn't already make a copy for himself?

Absolutely. I've been friends for 15 years with someone who runs a minstorage, and she has a key to nearly every locker they have. They sell the locks, roughly at cost, to new customers, and almost no one uses his own lock, even though he could. She emphasizes that it's uncuttable, which it is, and they like that.

Sometimes when people don't pay the rent, she looks in to see if they have moved out. Sometimes a door latch breaks and they have to get in to replace it. A lot of customers seem to assume she has a key, or at least they expect her to do things that require a key and they don't ask how she manages to do them. And when they do move out, even though the customer owns the lock, a few of them leave it behind locking the locker, so they need a key to get it off.

She also has a angle grinder for removing locks she has no key for. Bolt cutters won't cut the locks she sells. The shackle is hardened. These are the ones that look like pancakes, and the shackle is maybe

1/2" in diameter, and part of the circumference. And the key goes in the middle of one side.

Look in the 100 page lock catalogs and they are clear about master keys. She buys locks that use the same master key year after year, hundreds of locks, even if she buys them only 10, 20, 30 at a time. . Her master key won't fit every other ministorage, though I guess it must fit a few somewhere. Most of the stuff the people have she wouldn't want, even if it were free.

Reply to
micky

desk didn't already make a copy for himself?

BTW, the locks I talk about below come in the blister packs. Her company requires that a new customer buy a lock, for $10, but doesn't require that they use it. There's room for two locks on the latch anyhow. Some places put their own lock when a person is late with the rent, but she doesn't do that. When people are 2 months late and falling further behind, they call them up and tell they to take their stuff, and they don't have to pay what is owed. She doesn't get rid of their stuff unlesss the customer never shows up. That's one big reason she's never had a serious argument with a customer in 20 years.

This is a family business. I suspect chains which sell contents for unpaid rent have a lot of confrontations and probably some physical injuries.

Reply to
micky