Dog problem

Lime is good. He might need 100 lbs, one lb. for each pile :-))

A liquid spray over the fence might stop the dog from s*****ng in the area.

2/3 water 1/3 veggie oil cayenne pepper hot sauce garlic powder

(I would have to look it up for all ingredients) Mix in spray bottle and spray. I have used this to stop dogs pissing in my front lawn. They just move on. . Rain will wash away, so re-apply.

-- Oren

Oren

Even though he has never complained about it before! No, that is not why we pay taxes. We pay taxes to handle problems we can't handle ourselves. It's not like his neighbor is going to shoot him for complaining. The WORST he will do is insult him or ignore him.

That's an argument, but it's not generally good enough. If this is a concern, there are ways to feel out a neighbor without discussing the dog problem itself whether he feels he is a good neighbor, and is likely to respond to a personal request. Depending on the wind direction, he might not know that there is any problem at all. Or his nose might be much less sensitive than average.

It would be better to leave a tactful, anonymous note, or to send a polite letter, with no return address, than to go straight to the government.

Even in a case where someone has complained before, if a year ago or more, or in a case like this, even last summer, unless the guy blew him off, he should talk to him again. That is, if he said, Yeah, I'll do something, and never did, he should complain directly to the guy again before going to any agency.

I watch the Piple's Court a lot, and it really ticks a lot of people off when someone goes to a third party, especially a government agency, befoer talking to them. It makes them recalcitrant, and they tend to feel that if the complainer is going to use force, the agency, then they are only going to respond to force, and they're only going to do the minimum. If forced, they'll cooperate for a while, and then they'll stop and then the agrieved party has to go to the authorities every time he wants anything, an agencyt which may become slower and slower to respond, in favor of pursuing easier cases first.

People also don't like having a negative mark on their "official" record, and I agree with them.

Reply to
mm

Good neighbors don't need to be told about stuff like this. They notice and take care of it on their own. When I bought my present main residence in 1995, the next door neighbor mentioned in passing (and I'm sure without intent) that a certain piece of shrubbery on my side near their "sitting area" had a smell like piss at certain times. They were right, and had suffered with it for over 40 years without doing anything about it. I made it a priority to pull that bush and plant some nice red twig dogwoods in it's place. No other conversation about it ever took place. I did have to call that same neighbor at 12:30 am to tell them that their dog had been barking for over two hours. Being a good neighbor doesn't always GET you a good neighbor in return. I don't let that be my guide.

If you have to actually tell a neighbor that a stinking pile of dog crap bothers you, then you have to assume they aren't especially considerate by nature.

If none of this makes sense to you, your only option is to shoot something.

Reply to
anywhere

I had the same exact problem a few years back with a neighbor who had

2 large Dobermans and 3 miniatures so I can feel your pain (should I say odor). After trying to be neighborly and asking them to clean it up in a diplomatic way - which failed, I complained to the local board of health. Since my town only allows you the right to own 3 dogs, they were told to get rid of 2 of them. Since this was not an option for them, they sold the house and moved.
Reply to
DocPapsmear

That will certainly keep the moths off the poo.

-- Oren

Oren

(*recalcitrant* - funny) It can be by nature or learned ;-))

Bring that recalcitrant in here, so we can hurry up and have a fair trail!

Well you can't be a cowboy without stepping in horse shit! That makes one official and on record. :0

-- Oren

Oren

Schistosomaisis. Or shocking-diabetes.

Reply to
mm

Wow!

Areason for the OP to find out his rights and their responsibilities in the first place, without making any complaints to the government.

Reply to
mm

Some day when the conditions are their worst, invite the neighbor over, and at an opportune time/place mention the problem - where he can smell it. If he's a good neighbor, that should do it. Otherwise, check with animal control. Where I live, it is illegal to not clean up after your dogs. I think it is considered an "animal cruelty" or animal health issue or something.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Nonsense. Nobody should spend a penny to solve problems caused by dog criminals.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

To solution to pollution is dilution. My dog craps in a different place every day.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

LOL, in this case, the "gold" is in the eye of the beholder.

Reply to
F.H.

"Bob F" wrote in news:F- SdnXnYnZrEuT3bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Corn man! Do the corn!!

Reply to
Al Bundy

Invite him and his other half over for a beer/coffee/snack at the edge of your garden on a hot day with a light breeze in your general direction. If he doesn't have a better half to embarrass him then you could always ask a

4-year old to join you - those little kids don't hold much back when it comes to cold hard facts ;-) [or in this case not so cold, not so hard facts]

I feel for you ... I've lived happily in my family home for 6 years in middle-aged suburbia, built a beautiful arbor/porch onto the house at the end of last summer and some f'r moves in over my rear fence with 3 barking mongrels and half a frat house that whine, whimper 24/7 and never go inside even to pee.

PS: I would invite him over to enjoy your poop-free yard for a few hours and maybe he'll see the light - just maybe.

PK

Reply to
PK

== I like this one. It sounds like a cemetery parasite. Much more dreadful than cooties.

Reply to
Gini

Talk to your neighbor about it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Are you actually in Berkeley? Berkeley municipal code states there should be no more than 4 dogs over age 6 months. If there are more adult dogs than that, they are required to have a kennel set-up which is approved by the humane society and there are set-back requirements for said kennels.

As per recent CA laws regarding dogs being kept/tethered outside, etc. the following may be helpful:

private premises.

provide a ?shelter? structure or other space for the dog ... > (f) be kept clean and maintained in a manner designed to insure the best possible sanitary conditions, e.g. excreta shall be removed from the shelter as often as necessary,

Good luck dealing with Berkeley bureaucracy, you'll need it...

Karen, who used to live > Lived here ~25 years, bought the house March 2000. Soon afterward met a

Reply to
dkhedmo

Very good idea. Unless it is strong on the patio, I would take him for a walk around your yard to show him your plantings. If you don't have anything interesting to look at, tell him about your planned plantings. When you're near his dog's place, you could perhaps talk about how you avoid this part of the yard, and even the patio sometimes.

Of course, I rarely get subtlety and sometimes when I think I've gotten something, I'm not sure and I just ignore it, so you might have to come right out and say the poop is a problem.

Reply to
mm

There isn't much you can really do and remain on good terms with your neighbor. At one time my neighbor had 16 (large) dogs and the stench and flies was intense. Our city requires three unrelated neighbors to sign a complaint about dogs. You might consider growing mint near the pile or just stay inside.

Reply to
Phisherman

What a stupid response.

Reply to