Does your car have a heater?

Roadrunner used to do that a lot. I think his grandbirdies still do.

Reply to
micky

We certainly had to know hand signals for turning when I got my license in 1963

I don't remember if the '52 Hudson I drove for one summer had them. I know the '50 Olds I had had them but it was a hotshot car.

When my brother permanently lent me his '65 convertible, which also had electric turn signals, and I was driving with the top down and I wanted to turn right, I found myself using my right arm to point to the right. Without even thinking. It seemed so natural. But I stopped after a while.

Reply to
micky

Where I've lived I think it's 300 feet in front of and 200 feet behind, but I coudl be totally wrong.

It used to be I could flash my headlights when someone forgot to turn his on, but I think in my current car I can't turn mine off while driving at night or at dusk. It's hard to test that.

Reply to
micky

JC Whitney aka Warahawshky probably sold them.

Reply to
micky

Toyota, right? There should be a stalk protruding on the left side of the steering column, just behind the steering wheel. Twist it so that it points to Off instead of Auto. It might be the same stalk that operates the turn signals.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

SOME toyotas - I know at least one Canadian Matrix - the lights are on all the time.. Can't shut off the tail lights. with the car in gear.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I suspect they were my source for an "underseat" truck heater that I added to my '66 chevy van to heat the back.

Reply to
Bob F

Warshawsky.

Wouldn't be surprised.

When I lived in Chicago I could go to their store and everything was in stock. But I think they moved to some far suburb.

Reply to
micky

I have all that. I'll have to try some more. Maybe the problem is I keep looking for the big silver dimmer button on the floor.

I'll have to check.

Reply to
micky

I was an undergrad in my late 20s, had a wife and 2 old cars at that time - his 'n' hers.

Reply to
Xeno

Flash your brights, then.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not on my 2010 Prius. The left stalk has a knob on the end with 3 rotating positions for front of vehicle lights; off, parking lights, and normal headlights. Dash lights are activated when either parking or normal lights are selected. High beams are activated by pushing the stalk away from the driver, toward the dash. Are all manually activated, no automatic turn on/turn off.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

In most of the cars I have driven, pushing that stalk away from the driver turns on the high beams and the stalk stays there, but if you pull that stalk toward yourself, it will turn on the high beams temporarily and the stalk will return to neutral position when released. That way you can flash your high beams as fast as you can pull and release the stalk, as many times as you like.

How to flash your brights (high beams) on most cars:

invalid unparseable

When I took the test in 1966 we had to use hand signals. The tester told me that she was not feeling too well and if I would roll the windows up she would let me use the electrical ones. She was a tough tester and failed lots of the ones in my age bracket the first time. Got lucky and passed first time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was younger as an undergrad and sold the Chevy when I went to grad school where I did not need a car as grad house was only a block from school. Married the second year, car was hers and our apartment near the bus line took me to school and she drove to work. I recall in those days a fellow married grad student bought a new VW for $1,000.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:58:00 -0500, Ed P posted for all of us to digest...

Another good one ED.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz