Does it matter what kind of light bulb goes in a refrigerator?

So true bahahahaahahahhaa

Reply to
johnhinton2737

My frig has 2 bulbs 2 but i cant find 2 20 watt bulbs or am i suppose to use 2 40 watt bulbs? For safety it should specify it in the fridge, it is a used frig and dont think the original bulbs were in there. one was always blown out. its aout 15 years old.???

Reply to
mariettashaw

That CFL bulb will likel;y be pretty slow lighting - If I couldn't get the right appliance bulb I'd likely put in an LED rather than a CFL.

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

I put all LED bulbs in my frig. The white light looks a lot better than the dirty yellow of incandescents.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Clare LOL

Reply to
Picard to Enterprise

Can LEDs be used to replace the 30W incandescent bulbs inside microwave ovens?

Reply to
Peter

Probably not due to the small amount of electronics in the base of the bulb.

Recently I had a Bluetooth-enabled battery powered coffee mug

that one morning a visitor tried microwaving a cup of tea. Blew and melted the battery and components in the base of the mug. :-(

Same as people who want to kill those blinking sneakers. 15 seconds in the m/w and they are dead.

Reply to
Anonymous

Yeah. I searched further on the web and found several stories where the LCD bulb was fried in short order. Apparently it wasn't the electronics at the base but the actual LED chips that bubbled! Too bad. I hoped that the metal grill between the bulb and the cavity would be a sufficient Faraday shield to do the trick. I guess not. Would be neat if the manufacturers could come up with a fluorescent coating for the top of the cavity that would be activated by the microwaves, yet durable. No need to replace bulbs ever.

Reply to
Peter

The bulb is outside the oven cavity, so the answer SHOULD be yes.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Hi Peter,

I changed out my bulbs in both the frig and the freezer. No more burning myself on them. And the both of them cool down a lot fasted -- saving me money. Plus, the white light, versus the yellow, makes the food look better.

My favorites fridg bulbs are:

A15 LED Bulb - 40W Equivalent Globe Bulb - 480 Lumens - Cool White:

You can write Super Bright LEDs with the part number of your old bulb, they will give you an equivalent. Ask them your question about the microwave at the same time.

-T

I did about a year and a half ago, and have not had any problems. Note that many microwaves require an intermediate base bulb (like big C9 Christmas lights). Don't use LEDs in a regular oven.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Although it wouldn't light with the door open.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

A lot of people say no, although I haven't had a problem doing it.

Reply to
Sam E

Agreed, although there's often enough ambient light when the door is open to see if the turntable or other interior surfaces are clean or soiled and to safely lift items in or out without bobbling or crashing into the edge of the turntable. My greatest problem is seeing through the Faraday shield in the door's window while the food's being zapped. Does it look like it's shriveling up? Liquid not yet bubbling? Boiling over? etc. That's when an interior light is most needed for me. Otherwise, I'd need to use a flashlight.

Reply to
Peter