Does cotton/polyester work well as a rag.

That's good. I may try that myself if I need more.

Reply to
mm

It makes it so easy to use them on really greasy stuff and throw them out when they are free. Oh, for the rags that aren't real dirty, you would be amazed how they turn out after hanging out in the rain and drying in the sun. I reuse some of them quite a few times. And T-shirt type material/weave is normally the best.

BTW, the Goodwill here is very picky about what they sell. Any little spot of dirt on a t-shirt sends it to the trash, or if a bag a clothing comes in from a smoking household, the bags get tossed in the dumpster. I've washed some of my "rags" and kept them to wear. Other community help type places that give out clothing to the poor come and steal out of the Goodwill dumpster, that's how good the "bad" stuff is. Most stores are not that picky so don't let that keep you from ever donating old clothes.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I didn't mention this last night, but I actually went to the goodwill yesterday, with two big bags of stuff a neighbor was too lazy or ignorant to give to them and was just going to throw away.

The stuff was all washed, and only one thing, which was grey to begin with, might have had dirt that wouldn't come out in the wash. I couldn't tell.

A pair of jeans had a frayed part below the rear pocket. So I asked the woman what they took. She said they took anything. I said, even if has only one sleeve. Yes, she said. I asked about the frayed jeans. She said they sell them that way! I didnt' ask about dirty, because only that one thing might be dirty.

I asked about shipping it to foreign countries and she said they did that, but didn't give details. My friend says they wrap them in hundred or thousand pound bundles, and I think I saw that on tv.

That woudln't prevent me, but if they were just going to trash the jeans, I might have saved them as some sort of abrasive rag. :) Actually I don't know what jeans are good for, except once I had a 1 inch diameter round thermometer, with a suction cup, that I stuck to the dashboard. It fell off repeatedly and one time it stayed on the floor of the car with the dirty and stones, and the face was quite scratched when I finally picket it up. Later, I aimlessly rubbed it on the jeans I was wearing and it took out most of the scratches!!!

Reply to
mm