Do I need to paint over Kilz

From a Kilz rep "Thanks for your question. Our primers are not stand-alone products, so it's best to topcoat them for long-lasting results. This primer can be left uncoated for up to 30 days before it's sealing and adhesion properties start to deteriorate. Best wishes!" - Sara

Reply to
prisciandaroa

I am trying to use SW ceiling paint and the spot where I used kilz to cover a water spot shows through. The shiny kilz is what’s showing. How do I get that to not be shiny?

Reply to
canickerson

Will take several coats to cover it

Reply to
philo

Use a napped roller to add a bit of texture to the paint - the paint around the kilz likely has some texture. It WILL take 2 or 3 coats to totally hide it. Don't thin it or brush it out too much if brushing.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's surprising. Guess ceiling paint is thin, i.e. short on pigment. Years ago I had a paint like that which needed several coats. I did a ceiling stain recently and did not have this problem but may have used a newer kilz grade.

Reply to
Frank

I haven't seen it with ceiling paint, but I've seen it with high quality, BM wall paint. I've put up some test samples of various colors and later when covered with two or even three coats of the final color, at the right angle you can see the underlying test areas. It's like a difference in texture effect. And no, the colors were not something extreme either, more like faint grays, light tans, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

It was years ago and not a high quality paint.

Funny story but as a kid I did a couple of days interior house painting and contractor would not use a color that required more than one coat. He had one that did and removed it for another color.

I think now that there are 3 grades of Kilz. Original was ethanol solvent and quite drippy. The stuff I used recently was not.

Reply to
Frank