paint will not stick to ceiling

As quick as I roll it on, its peeling behind me

What can I use to seal the ceiling

PVA - Water mix?

TIA

Reply to
Vass

Got an extendable window cleaning pole sqeegy? soapy water and a good clean.

Reply to
George

As quick as you roll it on what. You do know you need a clean deglossed surface first, then go get a primer that bonds to what you have, im sure there are instructions on the paint can.

Reply to
ransley

This sounds like it may be an old distemper! If so I used diluted gloss paint as primer then emulsion Chris

Reply to
ConfusedCarbuyer

What are you painting onto? Have you prepared it? If it's emulsion, you should consider lightly sanding it and possibly sugar soap. If it's an oil paint, you might struggle a bit more. If it's distemper (makes sign of the cross) you'll need to wash it ALL off.

Edward

Reply to
Edward

I presume this is using good quality emulsion? I have come across this problem a few times in the last year, the best cure is to scrape off all the old paint before starting, we tried PVAing a peeling ceiling once, the PVA made the old paint bubble up too, so that idea was abandoned. A full-time painter told me that a quicker cure was to paint the whole ceiling in an oil based primer - any water in the paint causing the peeling/bubbling. It can be rollered on, so shouldnt take too long, just make sure it is well dried before emulsioning on top. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Grease: clean ceiling Oil painted surface: just apply 3 coats, it will slowly sort itself as each coat is added. distemper: wet it before painting, or if crumbling use very dilute pva, but be mean with it quantity wise If all else fails, change from using water based to oil based paint, or vice versa for the first coat.

NT

Reply to
meow2222