DIshwasher not draining

Problem started with the handle on my 7 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher breaking. Door was lock and handle would not open it. After a couple of calls, a tech said I had to use a coat hanger through the handle opening to open the latch. I took off the kick plate, and got the front panel off the door but couldn't see the workings of the latch from there. I put a coat hanger up through the door handle hole and started poking around. Thought I had to snag something and pull it down. After playing for a long time I figured out I had to go up higher in the door and PUSH the hanger up to release the latch. Finally got the door open, I could then remove the control panel from the top of the door and look inside. Saw the problem with the handle, have to order a new one. So I removed the broken handle, and twisted the hanger around the latch plate up inside the door and ran it out through the door handle opening and put the control panel back on so I would be able to open the door by pushing up on the hanger until I could get a new handle. Put the front panel back on, kick plate back on, and fired her up. Filled with water and then sat there and would not start the wash cycle. Pushed the CANCEL button and water would not drain. Had to manually empty the water out. Now whenever I push the cancel button there is about a 3 second buzzing from the motor area behind the kickplate and that's all that happens. Can't figure out if I screwed up the control panel with taking it off or messing around with the coat hanger, or if there is all of a sudden a problem with the drain pump. Ran fine before all of this, doesn't seem to be the control panel because lights work, and water fills in the tub to start the cycle. How can I check to see if the problem is the motor or if one of the pumps is jammed or plugged. Drains thru the garbage disposal, no drain vent.

Reply to
fabeck01

fabeck01 wrote: Filled

This states that the draining is not your problem........after filling, it should start and finish the wash cycle before it drains.......correct?

Just because the lights are on on the control panel, does not mean that all plugs are attaches to it like they should be. Check the control again and make sure everything is attached the way they should be. Then recheck the system.

Reply to
avid_hiker

Also,

If you could..provide us with the make and model of your dishwasher. This will help people help you more effectively.

Reply to
avid_hiker

Don't know too much about dishwashers, but I think most of them have some sort of door interlock switch that prevents motor operation if the switch indicates that the door is not closed. Could be that whatever is wrong with the door handle has hosed up the interlock switch?

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

I had a dishwasher also that wouldn't start.

Eventually I had to divorce her.

Reply to
mm

I had one years ago with a similar problem (more than once). Food waste (peas, beans, pits, etc) would plug the screen filter on the inlet side of the solenoid. My process ... Shut off power, drain water, remove hose on inlet side of the solenoid (catching balance of water in a shallow pan) and look for foreign matter, remove and reassemble.

Reply to
nospamplse