Dishwasher leaves grit on dishes

People with dogs don't need no toilet paper.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Yore dawg is named "Soap and Water" I presume.

Reply to
joevan

With 2 gallons, that would be just under 4 ounces of water per item. Not possible. Good luck.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nah, mah dawg is named Dammit!

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

All I usually have is 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 bowl, 1 spoon, 1 coffee cup, 1 spoon. 1 gallon.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Oh. In that case, your theory about using less water than a dishwasher just went right down the drain, and I'm sure you won't understand why.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Try running some vinegar in your next load. It will also shine your dishes.

Reply to
Dymphna

Irrelevant.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Fri 02 Oct 2009 09:45:28a, Van Chocstraw told us...

We normally have enough items to fill a dishwasher on a daily basis, which does make more efficient use of the amount of water required.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Oct 2009 10:27:04a, Dymphna told us...

Except that when you do, do not put in any items that are tinned steel. They will rust quickly.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

He's having a bit of difficulty with the arithmetic. Maybe this will help, although I doubt it:

"As of August 11, 2009, ENERGY STAR qualified dishwashers are required to use 5.8 gallons of water per cycle or less. Older dishwashers use much more water than newer models. A dishwasher purchased before 1994 uses about 8 additional gallons of water in each cycle compared to a new ENERGY STAR qualified model."

Even an older dishwasher would do better than the gallon "per place setting" he's talking about.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're all wet.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Actually, he's absolutely correct.

Reply to
salty

Dept. of Health here test the dish washing sink hot water at our local school and insist that it be 160 deg F or higher. So that hot water is fed from a separate hot water heater adjacent to to the kitchen area. Whereas the hand washing hot water for the students washrooms is at much lower temperature from another source. Best way to use dishwasher is to add dishes until it is full and then run it. I have several cutting board which are used only once (especially if cutting certain meats such as raw chicken) at a time and then placed in dishwasher. As a single pensioner mine is run about two or three times a week and will contain many tea mugs each time!

Reply to
stan

A member of the family was complaining about this same problem. We went through everything: changing detergent, checking water pressure, checking the water softener. After months of complaining, said same family member admitted she had been loading the silverware basket with tall utensils that were keeping the arm from swinging.

Reply to
Robert Neville

We had a slight argument in college once concerning who was supposed to clean a pot that we made mashed potatoes in. So no one did clean it. It sat for a few months. Finally someone banged it in the sink, whatever residue that was in it fell out and the pot had cleaned itself. Given enough space and time, nature will take care of it. Usually we don't have sufficient dishes for that approach.

Reply to
dgk

Brings to mind an old family tale.

My grandfather was a diamond prospector (digger)in South Africa. The diamond that he used to get engaged to his wife was one that he found himself. My wife now wears it as a second ring.

Anyway, the life of diggers were kind of rough, and they needed a lot of water for washing the rough ore to find diamonds, so water was always in short supply.

After my grandmother died, he briefly went back to prospecting for diamonds again (some say it was just a guise for smuggling uncut diamonds, which was illegal in South Africa, but nowhere else in the world). While on site, I once went to visit him to see how it was done He invited us for a meal and told the story about another digger who always invited people over for meals and assured them that his flatware was "as clean as soap and water could get it." My grandfather said he stopped going over for dinner after the first meal when his host gathered the used flatware, took them outside the trailer, laid them on the ground and called out" "Here Soap, here Water, dinner!"

Reply to
MikeB