Deck Footers curing time

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these new footers?

Reply to
Dale Paul

Are you using galvanized mounting pads? If your giving hard lateral thrust, I'd give it a few days.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Surfing the internet googling for "concrete curing times" brings up 5

- 7 days for close to maximum strength. Google it yourself as there are many variables that influence timing, and you have given us nothing to base estimates on.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've seen it done the next day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

SNIP

I don't know what source you're quoting but IME.... the numbers we used to use were ~1 day 25% ~5 days 50% ~10 days 75% "nominal full design strength" is assumed at 28 day but concrete continues to gain strength at a very reduced rate for a long time.

As long as you don't abuse the green concrete you can build the next day. When it's green (less than a week) it is especially susceptible to damage caused by tensile loading.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Yep, so have I, but if it was mine, I'd wait at least a week. Be sure to hose the concrete after the 2nd day too. Keeping it moist adds strength.

Reply to
repairs

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases in strngth

Reply to
bob haller

Are they still actively cooling it?

Reply to
krw

no that only lasted a few years, with such a large concrete structure it could of overheated and damaged the concrete

Reply to
bob haller

Sure but Oren made it sound like it was still an issue. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to
krw

Concrete should be outlawed to prevent global warming. Its for the children.

We need organic dams.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Made entirely of politicians.

Reply to
spammer

Dam politicians, damn politicians, or damned politicians?

Reply to
krw