Deck again - county screwed me.

That's a whole other story. Our Comcast offer expires this month and increase would be similar so we go back to bargaining. If you want to get your bill down the best thing to do is ask to talk to customer solutions there. They are the last resort but easiest to bargain with.

Reply to
Frank

Tough shit for you, and merry xmas, asswipe. LOL

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Waaaay too much intrusive government meddling and control of private property. It's a deck for Pete's sake! Vote the bums out of office next election...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

A previous head of the New Castle County council, Chris Coons, in two terms increased county tax over 60%. To reward him, we made him a US senator.

When I asked a friend in lower Delaware why his property taxes were half mine in a larger house, he asked, "What party is in charge in your county?" He's right.

People are incredibly stupid. Politicians in office never raise taxes in an election year and a nutty old woman I knew who complained loudly about tax increases voted for Coons. She said he did not increase taxes. I told her you better go home and look at your past taxes. Talk about short term memory. It inflicts many.

Reply to
Frank

Just take time to take care of yourself along the way.

Reply to
Muggles

hmm This desk isn't attached to the house. It's just sitting near the house, but no entrance.

Reply to
Muggles

Went back and looked at county requirements.

I was wrong about no access for mine as it is elevated 10 feet but freestanding less than 30 inches and 200 sq. ft. no permit required.

Reply to
Frank

Ours is a 12x10 foot free-standing deck. We built it ourselves, so didn't hire anyone, either.

Reply to
Muggles

I had been nursing mine for the 45 years that we have been here. It was built of framing lumber stained like redwood. There were a few redwood boards. Over the years I replaced all with pressure treated lumber adding addition support columns but now at my age I could no longer keep it up and wanted one maintenance free. Last time I tried to stain it I needed to get therapy for my neck. Now having all the tools and experience I physically cannot do all the work.

I was going to have a neighbor do it as he had done others decks but when he saw the shape mine was in and knew the current building code he said it needed replacement. I might have had him do it without the rigamarole but preferred to have him as a good neighbor and not a contractor that I might have a problem with. Plus, it might have taken him a couple of months as it did when he resurfaced a friend of mine's deck.

Reply to
Frank

  Ours is 52 feet long , 12' wide for 22 feet and 10' the remaining 30 . One side is attached to the house , the other side is supported by 6x6 treated posts every 7 feet . One end is near ground level , the other is 5' off due to the ground slope - just right for a set of 8 steps . Two sets of French doors open onto the deck , one in the bedroom and one in the dining room . And I built it myself with my little hammer and saw and screwdriver and post hole digger and cement mixer and and and ...   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Frank posted for all of us...

This sums it up doesn't it?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I think you win for size. That's one big deck! I would love one that big that wrapped around my house.

Reply to
Muggles

How big is his dick?

Reply to
Emorej Swet

Next door neighbor has one as big as this. It was just rebuilt for the third time - all wood. Owner had died last year and guy bought it and is flipping it. Not rebuilt to current code as he just resurfaced old. I would consider it one huge headache having to replace every 10 years and stain every couple of years.

Reply to
Frank

That is usually the result of going cheap. I got 30 years out of pressure treated and replaced it with Tiger Wood (goncalo alves) and it should go 50 years with a little oil. Definitely will outlast me.

Ed Pawlowski

I think if I had the money, I'd rebuild a deck with composite.

Reply to
Muggles

If you had the money you should use Ipe.

gfretwell

I cut the cord. 40 channels over the air... and I've been watching more and more youtubes. Just hook an old computer to ur big screen and get a wireless mouse. Watch what you want, when you want. It's criminal what big business does with our minds and bodies. Junk entertainment, junk information and junk food.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

  On our wedding night she said "You're going to put that WHERE?" Then she fainted . Nuff said .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  This is all treated wood , guaranteed for 30 years in ground contact

- and none of it actually touches the ground . The 6x6's were coated with asphalt emulsion on the bottom 30" and set in concrete - the concrete is "domed" above ground level so water runs off instead of soaking in . The two things left to finish are the railings and the L flashing where the framing is bolted to the house . Don't want water running between the framing and the house .

  --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs