Final tale on new Trex deck

It was a week ago, guy parks on street, steps out of car with a clipboard while I was in the drive way and says he's the county tax assessor and needs to look at my deck.

All OK and no extra taxes on property as it replaced existing deck and all building permits were in order.

Nice guy. I told him I did not like people like him and he said he didn't either.

They have to come out and when they do they often find new additions and the like done without required permits.

Reply to
Frank

replying to Frank, Iggy wrote: Oh yeah, anything outdoors or bumping out the exterior better be by the book. Around me, you get a higher assessment for just adding Central Air Conditioning, doesn't matter if you had heating ducts before or not...I haven't been able to get an explanation on that absurdity.

Reply to
Iggy

There's a show called Parking Wars. Even the ticket writers get a lot of abuse. The booters work in pairs.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I told the story years ago about the guy coming out because I was getting a new septic drain field, looking over and in my garage seeing pull down stairs and assessed me for having a loft over the garage that was not on the filing with the county.

I had to call his boss and insist that he come out to look at it. It was not a room. I had taken out the small opening to the attic there, put in a pull down step and put up a few fiber boards just for storing stuff there.

They had upped my tax assessment but removed it after the boss saw it.

Reply to
Frank

Central air increases the value of the house. value goes up taxes go up. Simple concepts whether you like it or agree or not.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been watching that show (re-runs) of late. Amazing all those folks that can't read signs or if they do they don't think those No Parking signs pertain to them.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I did get a parking ticket about 40 years ago and yes, it was my fault. I don't know how people can accumulate enough that they get booted and towed. Ignorance? Arrogance? Just plain stupid?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote: That's what I heard from my Commissioner and County Assessor. I said, "okay what about all of these new windows, doors, siding, fancy landscaping's, expanded driveways (big practice around here), kitchens, baths and even finished basements...according to the County's Assessment Office or Your Office, the building footprint wasn't increased so there's no assessment increase". The Commissioner said, "well, they know what they're doing". The County Assessor said, "I'll have to call you back", he never did and I followed up twice. Thus, why I still don't have an answer.

Reply to
Iggy

I'm going with 50% arrogance and 50% stupid. If I remember correctly the ones that get booted have about 7 or 8 parking tickets.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Oren posted for all of us...

I believe the IG office is different than the FBI in "lack of candor" statements. I think Flynn had his tit caught in a wringer and his military service put him in a untenable situation. I think it's all a sham and waste of money and time and all congress critters have their pants down around their ankles.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed. I know retirees from Treasury and FBI and back then these were very straight up agencies. I knew there were and continue to be corrupt people in the county and guess it affects all levels.

I had a friend retired as a building inspector and when he was asked to let something slide by a politician he would ask for their request in writing. He would never get it. Made him mad when I told him he must have been the only honest inspector there.

Reply to
Frank