Death by car exhaust

+1

The fact that so many people have died over the years from cars left running in the garage prove otherwise.

Reply to
trader_4

Ever watch Mike Holmes and see how shodily built many homes are? particularly regarding sealing between house and garage.

Reply to
clare

Also illegal here in Ontario.

Reply to
clare

Why keyless systems are stupid.

Andy

I looked at a new ford a few months ago, and the thing had so many bells and whistles on it that they had to offer a class on how to operate it. I just needed a car with the basics and possibly a back-up camera on it, and I didn't want a keyless entry, either. They looked at me like I was living back in the dark ages. Those bells and whistles are nice when they work, but what happens when some software upgrade doesn't work, or the system just gets old and you need to upgrade the bells and whistles for a hefty if you want them to keep working? They funny thing about the test drive was that they couldn't get the software in the display panel to work right while I was test driving it. Can anyone say RED FLAG??

Reply to
Muggles

I'm fond of standard transmission, crank windows, and other low tech. Sadly, even the key entry on the passenger side door is missing on newer cars.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He bragged about his $2 key, but many keys are $100 or more. I'm on my fourth keyless car. I like it. Never had a problem. Nice to not have to fumble to unlock it by finding a keyhole in a storm. It senses I'm near, lights the handle and puddle lights and I touch a button on the handle as I open the door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He talking about regular keys.

If you want a car that needs keys that cost 100's of dollars, so be it.

If the battery goes out in the key, what happens ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

It is law in Ontario for all houses with any fuel burning appliance/furnace.

The REAL stupidity was letting tne car continue to run and closing the garage door. They are VERY lucky it was a late model vehicle that produces only a maximum of 0.5% CO by volume at idle. Many run much closer to 0.02% - which would take a lot of running in a tightly sealed ara to kill you.

With a 50's or 60's era car half an hour could have killed everyone in the house.

First Alert plug-in systems sell for abour $25 Canadian. (Home Depot or Costco)

Reply to
clare

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

I like all those goodies. There is no reason to think you'd have to upgrade the software to keep things running. Sure anything mechanical or electrical can break or wear out, but you don't have to upgrade a program to keep the power windows working.

What is nice is to have the seat go all the way back and the steering wheel to go up to give your old body plenty of room to get in and out and go into your favorite driving position when you push the START button.

I drive 22,000+ miles a year so I want to do it in comfort. If you just go to the grocery store a mile away once a week, different story, save the money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, but not many cars have "regular" key any more. You don't have a choice if the car maker uses a chipped key. They don' t have a battery, but if you lose it or the chip is damaged, big buck for a new one.

IMO, the guy in the video likes living in the 19th century. His choice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I removed my dinger, as the bloody thing went off every time I got out of the car with the lights on for 2 seconds.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Engines make noise, was your coworker deaf?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If it was a start stop engine, I could understand the owner not realisin= g it was "on", but then it wouldn't be running.

If it wasn't a start stop engine, then she would have heard the engine r= unning when she got out, surely? Unless she's deaf, she has no excuse.

-- =

While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossib= le goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any ac= count of a =E2=80=9Dgod gene=E2=80=9C that causes the majority of Americ= ans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious= fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World socie= ties apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the re= st of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow = a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sw= eden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the Unit= ed Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According t= o the United Nations=E2=80=99 Human Development Report (2005) they are a= lso the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult l= iteracy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, hom= icide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked l= owest in =

terms of human development are unwaveringly religious.

--Sam Harris (An Atheist Manifesto)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Get a load of his "fiberglass buckboard" I'm sorry, seventies era Vettes don't turn my crank. A C6? Now you are starting to get close!!!

As far as the keys go - at least with Ford PATS system, the time to get another key is BEFORE you loose one

for Ford/Mercury 1998 and newer, If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

  1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

  2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

  1. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

  2. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

  1. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

  2. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

If you have lost one, and only have one left, you are at the mercy of the dealer.

For older Fords,1996-early 1998, it is a bit better -

If you want to add a key....

  1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.

  1. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

  2. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).

  1. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.

  2. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.

On the older Fords you can set up your own new key (all keys lost) but on the newer ones the dealer machine is required - along with a minumum of 2 PATS keys.

on the older Ford PATS system you can do it yourself. It will take you the better part of 1 hour to do this. You would want to do this if, for instance, you had your keys stolen. Doing this makes the old key incapable of starting the car.

If you want to initiate a new master key....

  1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

  1. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

  2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

  1. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.

Reply to
clare

For some reason a lot of Brits think Arabs are human.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Your Hillman Minx can be heard a quarter mile away but most modern cars are very quiet and cannot be heard over some ambient noise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There would have to be a lot of noise. Unless she came home to find her husband using a bandsaw in the garage? Anyway, why the f*ck would you forget to switch off your car? I leave my key in the ignition, and I don't forget to switch it off. It's part of the second nature stuff I do when I stop, including putting it in gear, applying the handbrake etc.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Well, I was driving on the interstate 16 miles a day back and forth to work, but that really wasn't enough to warrant all the bells and whistles like the amount you drive.

Reply to
Muggles