Storing a second-hand exhaust pipe.....?

HI All
Before anybody asks - because it might come in handy...... one day....
Top end of the exhaust on the Moggie Traveller developed a bunch of splits and cracks - new exhaust only comes as a single unit - so just replaced the whole lot (yesterday).
However - 'twas only the top (manifold) end that was dodgy - the rest - including the silencer - all looks fine & solid.
So - rather than scrap the old (probably serviceable) one - I was going to store it in the shed until the day that the new one gives out, and then do someting inventive with some steel tube and a couple of exhaust clamps to re-use the 'old' exhaust.
Question is - how would you protect the thing from deterioration.... bearing in mind it's an unheated shed and it might be at least four years or so before it's needed again...
Wipe over the outside with an oily rag ..?
Thanks Adrian
Adrian wrote:

SOAK it in oil.
No metal should 'see' the damp air.
Then wrap in clingfilm

HI TNP
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

OK - thanks Adrian
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That'll certainly stop it rusting.
Trouble is when he comes to use it, and it gets hot, all that oil will burn off.
Seems to me you want to get it *dry*. Which means sealing it in an air-tight bag with a load of dessicant.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

Yup. It will smoke like a bastard for 10 miles. So what?

Standard practice is always to use oil to protect metal in storage. it fills any pores.

Adrian wrote:

Will you really want to faff around like that when it comes to exhaust renewal time ?
Storing stuff like this 'cos it might come in handy' was something I used to do, but it's false economy. Re-using the secondhand exhaust will only prolongue the usage for a short time, and then you'll be looking at another replacement and refit.
I'd treat secondhand exhausts in the same vein as secondhand bearings and tyres.
Disposable.
Cheers,
Paul.
HI Zy
snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com wrote:

Quite possibly - if it gets me anpother couple of years exhaust for a couple of hours of my time...

Well - short time might be a couple of years - new exhaust was just under 100 - which a week's worth of food shopping.....
Plus the question mark over future availability of spare parts for a car that was built in 1964.... <g>
Regards Adrian
chuck it away & get a stainless steel replacement next time..... awaits flamethrowers from purist classic car enthisiasts :)

something like:

Nothing wrong with stainless on any classic. Some are a bit noisy, as in tinny, not boomy, but that's a minor thing.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Adrian wrote:

Ok, in that case, pull the NEW exhaust off the car and molish the old one back on.
I guarantee the new one will store better than the half rusted (on the inside) one you have now :-)
Plus you can sell it as new (old stock) if you sell the car in the interim.
Cheers,
Paul.

Stop thinking it will get used again,dump it because if you were thinking of repairing it why did you not do it instead of buying a new one?

Cos he didn't have another one like he has now .That's why.. I'd wrap oily rags ,possibly cling film on top and hang it up out of the way until needed or the car gets sold on .
HI
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Absolutely - at least _somebody's_ been paying attention.....
The only duff part of the old exhaust was the first few inches where it joined the manifold - the rest is solid, and doesn't look all that old....

I've done the 'hang it up out of the way bit' - I'll need to go get it down <g> and find some oily rags / cling film...
Thanks Adrian

Despite me saying that I doubt you'll need it . It'll only attract surface rusting . I kept a Sunbeam exhaust in a lockup for a couple years and it was fine .
saying something like:

They often rot from the inside out too, so have a look at my other post.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:14:38 +0100, Adrian wrote:

========================================Wrap it in oily cloth or hessian pipe insulation and while it's in storage look around for a flexible front end pipe similar to those used on Minis. When the time comes to replace attach the new flexible piece to the old system with clamp(s).
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
HI Cic
Cicero wrote:

Now that's a smart idea.... - didn't know such things existed.... thanks!
Adrian

Won't do much good. Exhausts in my experience rust from the inside out at least as much as from the outside in.
--
Roger Chapman

Well they certainly do that when in use because of all the water content going through them but I have kept exhaust parts in storage for a couple of years at least without any problems .
Adrian wrote:

Store it under the bed, nice & dry & warm. I'm sure SWMBO won't mind...
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk