Storing a second-hand exhaust pipe.....?

HI All

Before anybody asks - because it might come in handy...... one day....

Top end of the exhaust on the Moggie Traveller developed a bunch of splits and cracks - new exhaust only comes as a single unit - so just replaced the whole lot (yesterday).

However - 'twas only the top (manifold) end that was dodgy - the rest - including the silencer - all looks fine & solid.

So - rather than scrap the old (probably serviceable) one - I was going to store it in the shed until the day that the new one gives out, and then do someting inventive with some steel tube and a couple of exhaust clamps to re-use the 'old' exhaust.

Question is - how would you protect the thing from deterioration.... bearing in mind it's an unheated shed and it might be at least four years or so before it's needed again...

Wipe over the outside with an oily rag ..?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

SOAK it in oil.

No metal should 'see' the damp air.

Then wrap in clingfilm

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Will you really want to faff around like that when it comes to exhaust renewal time ?

Storing stuff like this 'cos it might come in handy' was something I used to do, but it's false economy. Re-using the secondhand exhaust will only prolongue the usage for a short time, and then you'll be looking at another replacement and refit.

I'd treat secondhand exhausts in the same vein as secondhand bearings and tyres.

Disposable.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Stop thinking it will get used again,dump it because if you were thinking of repairing it why did you not do it instead of buying a new one?

Reply to
George

========================================= Wrap it in oily cloth or hessian pipe insulation and while it's in storage look around for a flexible front end pipe similar to those used on Minis. When the time comes to replace attach the new flexible piece to the old system with clamp(s).

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Cos he didn't have another one like he has now .That's why.. I'd wrap oily rags ,possibly cling film on top and hang it up out of the way until needed or the car gets sold on .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Won't do much good. Exhausts in my experience rust from the inside out at least as much as from the outside in.

Reply to
Roger

Well they certainly do that when in use because of all the water content going through them but I have kept exhaust parts in storage for a couple of years at least without any problems .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

OK - thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Quite possibly - if it gets me anpother couple of years exhaust for a couple of hours of my time...

Well - short time might be a couple of years - new exhaust was just under ?100 - which a week's worth of food shopping.....

Plus the question mark over future availability of spare parts for a car that was built in 1964....

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Absolutely - at least _somebody's_ been paying attention.....

The only duff part of the old exhaust was the first few inches where it joined the manifold - the rest is solid, and doesn't look all that old....

I've done the 'hang it up out of the way bit' - I'll need to go get it down and find some oily rags / cling film...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Now that's a smart idea.... - didn't know such things existed.... thanks!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

That'll certainly stop it rusting.

Trouble is when he comes to use it, and it gets hot, all that oil will burn off.

Seems to me you want to get it *dry*. Which means sealing it in an air-tight bag with a load of dessicant.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Store it under the bed, nice & dry & warm. I'm sure SWMBO won't mind...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Despite me saying that I doubt you'll need it . It'll only attract surface rusting . I kept a Sunbeam exhaust in a lockup for a couple years and it was fine .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Tried that - darn thing's about 10ft long and pokes out the end of the bed - keep tripping over it....

Lovely - ordered the thing @ 2pm on Thursday out here in the wild west of Ireland, it was delivered to my door at 12 noon on Friday by two guys from the Factors in a town 30 miles away - they'd driven down here in the pouring rain with the nearside window of the van half-open and a red rag tied onto the protruding end.....

It does help that the man in charge of the Factors is Chairman of the local Classic Car Club !

There's service for you

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

chuck it away & get a stainless steel replacement next time..... awaits flamethrowers from purist classic car enthisiasts :)

Reply to
Mj

In message , Adrian writes

Adrian, to be honest, I would just leave it in the shed. My Traveller had a new exhaust system twelve years ago, and the car has just been put back on the road, having spent the last ten years in my Mum's unheated concrete garage, without any special preparation or protection. The exhaust is absolutely fine, and sailed through the MOT test - as did the rest of the car, eventually :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Yup. It will smoke like a bastard for 10 miles. So what?

Standard practice is always to use oil to protect metal in storage. it fills any pores.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the comments.... ...and nice that there's another old girl back on the roads.

I'm not sure I'd like to run one back in the UK - but out here in the far south-west of County Cork and nobody minds if you pootle around at 50mph - she's ideal .

What year's yours? - mine's a '64....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian