cutting FRP?

I'm still messing with my homemade cistern bug screens... got the first one fabbed and it works. Second one didn't have enough material to make. Got an idea - instead of using Masonite for the larger one I was thinking of using those FRP panels for shower stalls. question is, what's the best way to cut those? Very fine saber saw blade at high speed? Utility knife in several passes? I know that's going to be trickier to cut without making a mess of it. I need to make two rings about 21" diameter, 1.5" wide, I'll sandwich a piece of aluminum screening between them and glue together with construction adhesive e.g. PL Premium or something like that. The whole assembly will then be screwed to the top of the cistern with zip screws with low-medium density foam weatherstrip underneath. Anyone have any better ideas? tips on dealing with FRP or suggestions for a better material appreciated.

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Try any handy saber saw blade at medium speed. Should work just fine. If your test piece is a bit jagged switch to a metal cutting blade and do a bit of testing for the optimum speed. I doubt if you will need something as hairy as the carbide or diamond coated blades out there.. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe